The Talk Food Festival: Chef Scott Conant
Aleppo is a smoked Turkish pepper, as Scott explained to his ornery sous chef, Sheryl Underwood. If you want to make his lentil side dish, be sure to start it before you make the fish, because it takes awhile.
The Talk: Scott Conant Slow-Poached Swordfish Recipe Ingredients
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 or 2 Lemon Zest peels
- 1 tsp toasted, crushed Fennel Seed
- 1/2 bunch Thyme
- 1/2 bunch Rosemary
- pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Lemon Oil
- Olive Oil
Spice Mix Ingredients
- 2 tbsp toasted, ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp toasted, ground Aleppo Pepper
- 1 tbsp toasted, ground Fennel
Scott Conant: The Talk Slow-Poached Swordfish Recipe Recipe Directions
- Divide swordfish into eight- to nine-ounce servings.
- Marinate fish with three cloves of sliced garlic, part of the red pepper flakes, fennel seed, some rosemary and thyme.
- Rub fish with lemon oil and marinate at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a large amount of olive oil (enough to cover fish, when added) in a deep pan.
- Add remaining red pepper, rosemary, thyme, crushed garlic, and lemon peels.
- Heat to 160 F.
- Heat a grill pan and add spice mixture to the fish.
- Grill fish on both sides, to achieve diamond marks. This takes around one minute.
- Once fish is grilled, poach in oil for about nine minutes at 160 F.
- Transfer fish to a plate and drizzle with lemon oil.
The Talk: Scott Conant Braised Rosemary Lentils Recipe
- 1 cup Lentils Du Puy
- 2 tbsp chopped Rosemary
- 4 cloves chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped Chives
- 1 diced Shallot
- crushed Red Pepper
- 14 oz pureed Plum Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Cover lentils in two inches of cold water in a saucepan; salt and simmer on medium.
- Cook to al dente, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drain lentils and collect liquid.
- In a large pan, heat 1/4 cup olive oil with red pepper, shallot, and rosemary.
- Salt and cook on medium low for 11-14 minutes, until shallot is brown and tender.
- Add garlic and cook to color.
- Stir in tomatoes and let thicken for five minutes.
- Add lentils and 1/2 their cooking liquid.
- Continue cooking, adding more liquid in increments, until very tender, about 50-55 minutes.
- Finish with chives and salt if needed.