The Talk Food Festival: Richard Blais
Richard Blais was a part of The Talk Food Festival and he shared a fresh Kale Salad of Walnuts, Chickpeas, and Raisins. To wash it down, try The Bee’s Knees Cocktail. For more of Blais’s cooking ideas, try Spicy Drunken Clams.
The Talk: Richard Blais The Bee’s Knees Cocktail Recipe
- 3 oz Apple Juice
- 1 1/2 oz Whiskey
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- 3 Mint leaves
- 1/2 oz Honey Syrup
Honey Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 cup Water
- Bring honey syrup ingredients to a boil. Let cool and reserve.
- Combine cocktail ingredients and shake over ice until frothy.
- Strain and pour over ice, garnished with mint.
The Talk: Richard Blais Walnut, Chickpea & Golden Raisin Kale Salad Recipe Ingredients
“Kale is not over,” Blais said, despite what you may have heard about this foodie trend. Try mixing your dressing using a mason jar, which is what Blais said he does when working at home.
Queso Fresco, a soft Mexican cheese, is a good complement to the other salad ingredients here.
- 1 bunch washed, dried Lacinato Kale
- 1/4 cup rehydrated Golden Raisins
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup pickled Pearl Onions
- 1/2 cup toasted Walnuts
- 2 oz Queso Fresco
- 1 can drained Chickpeas
- Vinaigrette (see below)
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Oranges
- 3 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 tsp minced Shallot
- 1/4 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Richard Blais: The Talk Walnut, Chickpea & Golden Raisin Kale Salad Recipe Directions
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients, adding olive oil last to emulsify.
- Preheat oven at 350 F to toast walnuts for 10 minutes.
- Let walnuts cool before chopping them.
- Simmer white wine vinegar with raisins and water in a saucepan for about five minutes. Set aside to let plump.
- Peel pearl onions, remove the ends, and slice the onions into rings.
- Combine 3 cups red wine vinegar with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to create a pickling liquid.
- Bring this liquid to a boil and dissolve the sugar.
- Pour liquid over onions and let absorb for one hour.
- Remove the rib from kale and chiffonade the leaves.
- Toss kale with strained raisins, walnuts, lemon juice, and chickpeas.
- Mix in vinaigrette, season to taste, and serve with crumbled queso fresco.