The Talk Food Festival: Adam Perry Lang
If you’re in the LA area, you can check out his pop-up restaurant, Serious Barbeque Backlot BBQ, serving lunch in October 2014. For more recipe ideas, check out his Serious Barbecue cookbook.
Adam uses Soy Sauce in his marinades, which helps to bring out flavor in the foods you are marinating. Beef should be squishy (unlike fish, which should be firm to the touch).
The Talk: Adam Perry Lang Butter Bombed Porterhouse Hoagies Recipe Ingredients
- 4 thick Porterhouse Steaks (about 1 1/2 lb each)
- 1 tbsp crushed Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 cup chopped Sweet White Onion
- 1 tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tbsp boiling Water
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Japanese Soy Sauce
- 10 cloves peeled, halved, grated Garlic
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
Resting Butter Ingredients
- 8 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 cloves peeled, halved, grated Garlic
- 1 bundled bunch Rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped Parsley
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp crushed Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 whole cloves peeled Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
Adam Perry Lang: The Talk Butter Bombed Porterhouse Hoagies Recipe Directions
- Pour boiling water over pepper flakes in a bowl and let sit to rehydrate for up to two minutes.
- Combine the other marinade ingredients in a blender, stirring in the red pepper flakes and water.
- Transfer steaks to a resealable plastic bag.
- Pour marinade over steaks. Press out excess air and seal the bag.
- Roll bag to coat meat and marinate in the fridge for three to 24 hours. (If you’re in a hurry, marinate for about 30 minutes at room temperature.)
- Prepare a griddle and place it on a grill over high heat.
- Combine resting butter ingredients, stirring as butter melts.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup butter in a bowl for later.
- Pour the rest of the butter into a baking dish or disposable aluminum baking tray.
- Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry; salt and pepper.
- Brush steaks with a light coat of oil.
- Cook steaks in batches if needed, letting them sit for three minutes before moving or flipping them only once. Keep the grill lid closed except to flip.
- Rub the steaks and bone with whole garlic.
- Brush steaks with 1/2 cup butter, using bundled herbs as a brush.
- Remove griddle and place steaks directly on the grill, with the cover off.
- Cook about four to seven minutes, depending on your preferred level of doneness.
- Remove steaks from grill and place in resting butter for about five minutes.
- Clean the grill while steaks rest.
- Return steaks to the grill grates for one minute, without moving them.
- Flip steaks and cook another minute.
- Return steaks to butter to rest.
- Drizzle a bit of butter on a cutting board and slice steaks diagonally into 1/4” slices.
- Dredge in butter and serve on hoagie rolls with your choice of toppings.