The Talk: Actress Patricia Heaton
Patricia Heaton stopped by The Talk today to talk about her role in the critically acclaimed show, The Middle. She stars opposite Neil Flynn, the two playing a married couple living in a small town in Indiana and doing their best at raising three children.
The final episode of the fourth season of the show is airing tonight, May 22 2103, and it focusing on Heaton’s character, Frankie Heck, trying to plan a graduation party for her oldest son while one of her other sons has to come up with a slide show about the past four years of high school.
Cooking with Art Smith
The ladies of The Talk invited chef Art Smith, author of Art Smith’s Healthy Comfort, onto the show to give them a hand in the kitchen. He showed them how to make a number of recipes, including his unfried chicken recipe with roasted brussel sprouts.
Art Smith Unfried Chicken with Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Art Smith Unfried Chicken with Roasted Brussels Sprouts Ingredients:
For the chicken:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce or another hot sauce
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1½ cups multigrain or whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- For the brussels sprouts:
- 16 brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Art Smith Unfried Chicken with Roasted Brussels Sprouts Directions:
To prepare the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the buttermilk and hot sauce. Submerge the chicken pieces in the buttermilk and soak in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour but no more than 24 hours.
- In a gallon-size plastic bag, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, black pepper, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Seal the bag and shake until well mixed. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and transfer directly to the bag with the bread crumb mixture. Shake the bag until the chicken breasts are evenly coated with the bread crumbs. Remove the chicken breasts from the bag and lay flat on a nonstick baking sheet. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Bake the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes or until just cooked through.
To prepare the brussels sprouts:
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place brussels sprouts in a medium mixing bowl, toss with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the brussels sprouts in a medium ovenproof baking dish and roast for 20 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
Art Smith Watermelon and Feta with Lime and Serrano Chili Peppers Recipe
Art Smith Watermelon and Feta with Lime and Serrano Chili Peppers Ingredients:
- 3 pounds seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into large dice
- 2 serrano chili peppers, seeded and minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
Art Smith Watermelon and Feta with Lime and Serrano Chili Peppers Directions:
- Place the watermelon in a large mixing bowl. Add ll the ingredients and toss until mixed well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Art Smith Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Pine Nuts and Lemon Recipe
Art Smith Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Pine Nuts and Lemon Ingredients:
- 20 medium brussels sprouts, cleaned
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Art Smith Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Pine Nuts and Lemon Directions:
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half lengthwise. Thinly slice them until you get to the chunky white core of the brussels sprout, then discard the rest of the brussels sprout. Place the sliced brussels sprouts in a medium mixing bowl and add the olive oil, lemon juice, pine nuts, and pecorino Romano cheese. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes before serving.
Art Smith Dark Chocolate, Pumpkin Seed, and Sea Salt Bark Recipe
Art Smith Dark Chocolate, Pumpkin Seed, and Sea Salt Bark Ingredients:
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Art Smith Dark Chocolate, Pumpkin Seed, and Sea Salt Bark Directions:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 3/4 of the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. With the bowl uncovered, heat the chocolate for 30 seconds and then stir with a rubber spatula. Repeat, heating for 30 seconds and then stirring, until almost all the chocolate in the bowl is melted, about 3 minutes total.
- Using a thermometer, check the temperature of the chocolate. It should be 110 F to 115 F. Add the reserved chocolate and stir constantly until completely melted and smooth and thermometer reads 88 F to 90 F.
- Stir the pumpkin seeds into the chocolate.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the chocolate in an even layer, about 1/4 inch thick, on parchment paper. Sprinkle the sea salt over the chocolate. Allow the bark to cool at room temperature until hard.