Carla Hall’s Low Fat Mac & Cheese Recipe
The Chew host and chef Carla Hall showed The Harris Sisters how to make a healthy version of one of their favorite foods, macaroni and cheese. It uses low fat cream cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
Carla Hall said you should not deprive yourself of your favorites, because that will cause you to binge. Instead, practice moderation so you can still have your favorites.
Carla Hall’s Mac & Cheese Recipe
This recipe is a healthier twist on a classic American favorite, Macaroni & Cheese.
- 1/2 lb. Whole Wheat Macaroni
- 3 tbsp. Flour
- 1 tbsp. Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 c. Low Fat Milk
- Bay Leaf
- 1/2 c. Minced Onions
- 4 oz. Low Fat Cream Cheese
- 6 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Whole Wheat Macaroni
- Boil water and cook pasta according to directions on the box.
- Mix flour mixture & low fat milk in a saucepan. Mix it cold to avoid lumps.
- Turn on heat for your saucepan Add Bay Leaf and onions.
- Simmer & add cream cheese.
- Whisk out the lumps, then simmer for a couple minutes.
- Remove from heat and take out the bay leaf. Add cheddar cheese.
- Put the cooked wheat noodles in your bowl.
- Add sauce to your individual bowls, to make it creamy but not too rich.
Parsley & Bread Crumb Macaroni & Cheese Topper Recipe
This is a great garnish for your Low Fat Macaroni & Cheese.
- 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread
- Cooking Spray
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Black Pepper
- Fresh Chopped Parsley, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray bread with cooking spray, dust with salt, and put on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until toasted. You can also use a toaster oven if you have one.
- Once the bread cools, tear it into crumbs and sprinkle it with pepper and parsley.
- Set aside until the macaroni is done. Then sprinkle on top of individual servings, to taste.