Carla Hall Fried Chicken With Panko Recipe
Chef Carla Hall, a co-host of ABC’s The Chew, joined Harley Pasternak and Dr. Tiffanie Davis Henry to share tips on maknig healthier versions of Southern Food favorites.
Harley said that four of the five most obese US states are in the South. Carla Hall said that could be because there’s not enough variety or portion control in their diets.
Carla Hall’s Healthier Fried Chicken Recipe
Everyone loves the flavors and textures of classic foods like fried chicken. Carla Hall has a great approach to these foods that will work for everyone. You can still have the sensations and flavors you love without adding all the extra calories and fat that come from things like frying.
Today, she’s putting that philosophy into practice by making crispy chicken that’s baked instead of fried.
Carla’s Garlicky Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
Cutting your chicken breasts or thighs in half will help you with portion control. This recipe also substitutes low fat yogurt in place of buttermilk. Panko will create that crispy, crunchy texture without the calories. Leaving the bone in your chicken can add more flavor.
- 1.5 pounds Halved Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1.5 pounds Skinless Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 1 clove smashed Garlic
- A pinch of Black Pepper
- A pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Low Fat Yogurt
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1.5 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 3/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub the chicken breasts & thighs with garlic, black pepper, and salt.
- Mix the yogurt with Egg Whites and Dijon Mustard in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine Panko crumbs, Cayenne Pepper, and Paprika.
- Immerse the chicken in the egg white mix, then roll it in the crumb mixture to bread it.
- Place breaded chicken on a sprayed baking sheet. Spray chicken before baking.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes at 375 degrees. Make sure chicken juices are clear before taking them out. Undercooked poultry is dangerous!
- Serve the golden, crispy chicken while it’s hot.