Ty Pennington: Chair Reupholstery
Ty Pennington taught style expert Tim Gunn and mother of seven Laura how to fix things around the house to save big money. Tim & Laura each took a crack at Reupholstering A Chair. Ty Pennington praised their first attempts.
The Revolution: How To Reupholster A Chair
- New Upholstery
- Staple Gun
- Turn the chair upside down. Unscrew the seat cushion from the base, then remove the base from the chair.
- Turn the cushion upside down on your new piece of fabric. Ty recommends saving time by not removing the old fabric. Just put the new fabric on over it.
- Line up the new fabric. You may want to use a level to make sure the pattern is as straight as possible.
- Fold the fabric over the underside of the cushion on one side. Use a staple gun to secure it in the center of that side.
- Next, staple the corners, because they are the most difficult. Pulling the fabric tight will make smoother corners. Ty recommends scalloping your fabric as you go around.
- Repeat the stapling process all the way around your cushion until the new upholstery is completely fastened.
- When finished, reattach the cushion to your chair. Doing this process yourself can save you about $50 per chair.
The Revolution TV: Walt Disney World Family Vacation
Laura was Ty’s assistant for today’s home improvement projects. She is a recently unemployed wife and mother of seven kids, which is a big group to take care of, let alone afford to take on vacation, even in the best of times.
As a thank you for her help with today’s handyman projects, Ty Pennington gave Laura and her family a trip to Walt Disney World so they can enjoy a family vacation, in spite of their recent tough times. That’s got to be a fun surprise, in addition to the big money saving tips she and the audience learned.