The Doctors: Six Foods To Flatten Your Belly For Bikini Season
The Doctors and Reader’s Digest Editor in Chief, Liz Vacariello have six foods that are going to help you slim down your stomach and get ready for bikini season. Check out all six foods on the next page to learn how each works at flattening out your stomach. Plus, a Skinny Stomach Smoothie Recipe!!!
- Apples – Apples have 45 grams of fiber which will keep you full longer without having to worry about the calories. Dr. Travis Stork said one study has suggested eating the peel of the apple helps the body produce more brown fat, a type of healthy fat that burns calories. Plus, apples are antioxidants as well.
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms are the only natural source of vitamin D in food. Dr. Stork said low vitamin D can contribute to belly fat which means getting more vitamin D will help you slim down.
- Leafy Greens – All leafy greens are loaded with fiber and have low calorie counts. While certain leafy greens like broccoli may give you gas and cause bloating, Dr. Stork said you can avoid both by eating more kale and spinach, both of which cause less bloating and are antioxidants.
And now, onto the next 3 food to flatter your belly…
- Quinoa – This is only whole grain that is also a protein. Quinoa is high in fiber, so it keeps you full longer, and it is low on the glycemic index. Dr. Stork said eating complex carbohydrates with dinner will most likely make you have a smaller appetite as well.
- Lean Protein – You should be eating lean protein at every meal. Dr. Stork suggested lean proteins like chicken, salmon and eggs, all of which will keep you full longer and the protein takes your metabolism a long time to break down. Dr. Stork added that about 30 percent of the calories in lean protein are gone because of the amount of energy it takes to break down the protein.
- MUFAs (Mono Unsaturated Fatty Acids) – Vacariallo said she loves MUFAs because they help fight belly fat.
Are you excited yet for the smoothie recipe that’s on the next page???
The Drs: Sleek Stomach Smoothie Recipe
Now that you know all the foods you want to start eating to get a flatter stomach, The Doctors also came up with a sleek stomach smoothie recipe that will keep you full longer and it tastes great.
In the recipe, Dr. Stork said he used dates instead of sugar because they are healthier and they act as a natural sweetener. He said he used a banana as well because it is loaded with potassium and it will stop any type of bloating.
If you want to try making your own smoothie, The Doctors recommended adding some healthy fats to the smoothie to even out the nutrients and to help the body burn more fats. Vaccariello said she likes to add almond butter and avocado to her smoothies because they add thickness, and a recent study found the thicker a smoothie, the longer the person stayed full.
Now lets get to the recipe…
The Doctors Sleek Stomach Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 banana, which adds potassium that helps your body balance sodium and reduce bloating
- 1/2 avocado, adds creaminess and richness
- 1 heaping teaspoon of almond butter, which is a monounsaturated fatty acid and helps reduce belly fat
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao, which is packed with antioxidants and is sugar-free
- 3 dates, which add sweetness but are lower on the glycemic index than honey or sugar
- Ice to desired thinkness
The Doctors Sleek Stomach Smoothie Directions:
- Blend all ingredients together and enjoy.