The Doctors: Sloppy Joe Recipe by Meg Galvin
The Doctors brought Meg Galvin, author of The Sparkpeople Cookbook, on their show today to discuss how to lose weight without sacrificing flavor. One of the delicious recipes she showed was a Slimmer Sloppy Joe Recipe that uses extra lean beef and beans to slash the calories and fat. I bet if you used ground turkey it would be even healthier! You may also want to try Dr Lisa’s Stuffed Fig Recipe. Here is the Slimmer Sloppy Joe Recipe:
Sparkpeople: Sloppy Joe Recipe
• 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added tomato puree
• One 14.5-ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
• 8 oz ground beef, extra lean, at least 91% lean
• One medium onion, finely diced (1 cup)
• Three cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup finely diced red or orange bell pepper
• 1 tsp chipotle or dark chili powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 2 tbsp canned chopped green chilies
• Four whole-wheat sandwich thins, toaste
1. Pour into a blender the beans, tomato puree and 1/2 cup water.
2. Blend the mixture until it is smooth.
3. Warm a pan over medium heat and add the extra lean ground beef. Cook until it is light brown throughout.
4. Put the onions into the pan and cook for another couple of minutes.
5. Add the peppers and garlic while you continue to cook for a couple more minutes.
6. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder, while cooking the sloppy joe for another minute.
7. Add the green chilies and tomato / bean mix to the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Serve while hot!