The Doctors: Comfort Foods That Won’t Make You Fat
Everyone has their favorite foods, and not all of them are necessarily diet friendly. Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien came to the rescue on The Doctors, with some of her favorite light versions of popular comfort food treats. Try her Apple & Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Nuggets and her Taco-Topped Pizza Recipe. (Get more of Lisa’s recipes here.)
The Doctors: Hungry Girl Apple & Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Nuggets Recipe Ingredients
This breakfast has 206 calories per serving, which is much less than typical French toast.
- 1/4 cup Liquid Egg Substitute
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 no-calorie Sweetener Packet
- 1 light Hot Dog Bun
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup diced Apple
- 2 tbsp room temp fat free Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp light Whipped Butter
- Sugar-Free Pancake Syrup (optional)
Hungry Girl: The Doctors Apple & Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Nuggets Recipe Directions
- Combine vanilla, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and egg substitute in a bowl.
- In a microwavable bowl, top apple with sweetener and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Microwave until soft, about one minute.
- Mix in cream cheese with apple.
- Open the hot dog bun but do not tear it in half.
- Spoon apple mixture on half the bun and press to seal it shut.
- Slice the bun into four pieces.
- Heat a skillet on medium high.
- Add butter to the skillet.
- Coat bun pieces in egg wash.
- Cook French toast nuggets to golden brown for three to four minutes.
The Doctors: Hungry Girl Taco-Topped Pizza Recipe Ingredients
This lunch gives you just 300 calories, and you don’t get all the caloric crust of a typical pizza.
- 1 stick light String Cheese
- 2 dashes Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 cup frozen Ground Beef-Style Soy Crumbles
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 high fiber Pita
- 1 tbsp fat free Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp diced Tomato
- 1 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 3 tbsp crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/8 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp reduced fat Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 2 tsp diced Red Onion
Hungry Girl: The Doctors Taco-Topped Pizza Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Separate cheese into thirds and shred it in a food processor.
- Combine tomatoes with half the chili powder and all the cayenne pepper.
- Mix soy crumbles with onion powder and garlic powder in a microwavable bowl.
- Add half the cumin and the last of your chili powder to the bowl and cook it for 30 seconds, until hot.
- Place the pita on the baking sheet.
- Spread crushed tomatoes on the pita, leaving a border of 1/2".
- Sprinkle this with shredded string cheese, soy crumbles, and Mexican blend cheese.
- Bake until hot, around 11 minutes.
- Combine the last of the cumin with sour cream and lime juice.
- Place this topping on the cooked pizza and garnish it with cilantro before serving.