The Drs: Slim Down Tricks
The Doctors want Lisa to be 50 and fabulous, so they enlisted celebrity dietitian and nutritionist Cynthia Sass to share how to help her. Cynthia said she has found that nothing helps a concept stick quite like an analogy that you can relate to in your day-to-day life. To put together healthy meals, she said to think of it like you do putting on outfits. She explained that you wouldn’t leave your house without pants or shoes, just like you shouldn’t eat a meal without protein or another essential component.
She explained that it’s important to have one serving of a lean protein at every meal, whether it’s chicken or turkey, low-fat dairy, or lentils. You also need vegetables and plant-based fats like avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, and even dark chocolate. You need those three things at every single meal, like you need a top, bottom, and shoes.
Then comes your “accessory,” which is your starch. You can choose from fruits, whole grains, starchy vegetables, or pulses, which are beans, peas, and lentils. Pulses can help curb hunger, up fat-burning, and reduce belly fat.
The Drs: California Omelet
One example of a complete meal is a California Omelet that can be paired with sides like whole grain toast or black beans for a delicious breakfast. The healthy fat is the avocado that you top it with, but you can also leave that off and have some dark chocolate if you would prefer. For another idea, try Cynthia’s Broccoli Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry.
The Drs: California Omelet Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 C minced yellow onion
- 1 small vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 1/4 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/2 C organic egg whites or 1 whole organic egg & 3 egg whites, whisked
- 1/4 C low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 2/4 C baby spinach leaves
- Optional seasonings like minced garlic, black pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes
The Drs: California Omelet Recipe Directions
- Place a medium-sized pan over low heat & saute the onion in the vegetable broth
- Add in tomato & spices & saute a few more minutes before removing the vegetables & setting them aside
- Add whisked eggs to the pan & top with spinach
- After eggs are set, carefully fold one side of the egg over the other & remove from the pan
- Top the omelet with your vegetables & add sliced avocado
- Serve alongside whole grain toast, red potatoes, fresh fruit, or black beans