The Doctors: Inside Dr. Travis Stork’s Fridge
Dr. Travis Stork wanted to give everyone a glimpse into his refrigerator at his Los Angeles apartment. He shared that “there’s a lot of hoppiness” in his fridge, and then explained that hops are the female flower of the hop plant, and what are used to flavor beer.
He also eats a lot of Greek yogurt and fresh berries. He said if he knows he’s getting ready to leave town, he throws his berries into the freezer so they’re still good to use when he gets back.
The Drs TV: The Doctor’s Diet Cookbook + Mac ‘N Cheese Recipe
Dr. Stork then said he really can’t live without cashews, and they’re actually the secret ingredient in his doctor approved mac ‘n cheese, featured in his new book, The Doctor’s Diet Cookbook.
Dr. Stork said he wrote The Doctor’s Diet to help people lose weight, but said part of it is once you’ve lost weight, you want to keep the weight off. So the diet can help you do both of those things. The recipes also taste great and can improve your health to keep your body in great working order. Dr. Stork suggested soaking your cashews overnight to soften them up. He also said he really likes to use spices when it comes to cooking, and said paprika has nine times the vitamin C of a tomato, and turmeric is an anti-inflammatory.
He also explained that he used whole grain pasta because it has a lot of fiber, meaning you don’t have to eat as much and feel full quicker. He said cheese and butter “are back.” He said guys in particular don’t like diet food, they like real food, and his cookbook includes real food that is good for you. Dr. Rachael Ross said it wasn’t her mama’s but it was really good!
The Doctors: Doctor-Approved Mac ‘N Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- 12 oz whole-wheat or other whole grain pasta elbows or shells
- 1 10-oz package frozen cauliflower florets, defrosted
- 1 C coarsely shredded cheddar cheese, plus ¼ to ½ cup more for topping
- 1 C milk
- ½ C raw unsalted cashews, soaked in a hot water to cover by two inches for at least one hour or overnight
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- ¾ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ to ½ C whole-wheat breadcrumbs
The Drs TV: Doctor-Approved Mac ‘N Cheese Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package details to al dente and then drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine the cauliflower, cheese, milk, cashews, shallot, garlic, vinegar, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Add a little water if the mixture is too thick. (You want it to be thick, but still “pourable.”)
- Place pasta in a large bowl. Add the sauce and stir to combine.
- Transfer the pasta to a 9-by-9 inch baking pan and top with bread crumbs, followed by the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until browned on top and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.