The Doctors: Nap Nanny Deaths Warning & Water Balls Alert for Parents

ADVERTISEMENT

The Doctors: Nap Nanny Dangers

Dr. Travis Stork had some baby dangers to talk about on The Doctors February 12 2013. First up, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is suing in the manufacturer of the Nap Nanny. Why does the government agency think the Nap Nanny is dangerous?

Nelda Harris, a new mom, said the Nap Nanny was a gem. The Nap Nanny is a reclining, portable chair for babies designed for napping and playing, but the CPSC says that it contains defects in the design, warnings and instructions. The agency claims that five babies have died due to use of the Nap Nanny.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Drs TV: CPSC Nap Nanny Deaths

The Doctors: Nap Nanny Deaths Warning & Water Balls Alert for Parents

The company behind Nap Nanny says that the parents are the ones misusing the product and the product is fine. Either way, if you have a little one at home, it’s important to read the warning labels of the products you use around your baby.

The product does instruct users not to use in crib, which is how some of the babies died using it. Even so, the CPSC thinks it’s dangerous. In 2010, the company behind Nap Nanny agreed to a voluntary recall and changed the product. The new model has the warnings on the top, rather than the bottom, higher walls and an improved safety harness. Despite the changes, the CPSC says that consumers continue to ignore the warnings. That’s why the CPSC has asked for a product recall.

Dr. Lisa Masterson said it sounds like parents just need to follow the instructions of the product. Dr. Jim Sears said it would be very easy for a parent to take the Nap Nanny and place it in a crib when a baby is sleeping, thinking that’s a perfectly fine thing to do, when that’s exactly the kind of thing that’s leading to the baby deaths.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Doctors: Water Balls Alert

In September, The Doctors talked about water balls, which were small, colorful balls. There was a case of an eight-month-old who swallowed one. The balls swell up when swallowed and the baby’s small intestine nearly blew up. The manufacturer of the product has allowed a voluntary recall of 95,000 units of its product. Customers who call them up will get a free replacement toy and it is now illegal to sell the recalled product.

Dr. Stork pointed out that this case is a lot different than the Nap Nanny case, because this is a child grabbing something and eating it, versus parents misusing the product.

He said he thought it was an interesting question of how much responsibility a parent takes versus a company in these scenarios.

ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Human Verification: In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.