The Doctors: Healthier Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chef Chloe Coscarelli is a natural foods chef, and she has a recipe for guilt-free cake. Chef Chloe is a vegan chef who’s always cooking up healthy recipes at her website, chefchloe.com. She used a cake recipe like this to win a competition on the reality series Cupcake Wars and now she’s sharing the healthy swap secrets with us.
The Drs: Chocolate Cake Swap
The Doctors like to remind us that good nutrition is all about moderation. That means you can still have the foods you enjoy, as long as you don’t binge on them. It’s also easy to make healthy choices and changes when possible, so you can still enjoy your treats without all the empty calories and added fat.
Earlier, they shared how you can create a delicious Skinny Turkey Burger, using lean turkey instead of ground beef to make your patties. Now Chef Chloe is showing how you can cut the junk but not the flavor out of your Chocolate Cake.
The Doctors: Chocolate Cake Recipe
The healthy swaps come in with the wet ingredients. Agave Nectar replaces sugar, while water takes the place of cream, and canola oil swaps for butter.
The Doctors taste tested Chloe’s healthy cake as well as a traditional unhealthy cake. Dr. Jim Sears liked the healthy cake better, and said it’s definitely worth it since it has less than half the calories. Canola oil is a healthy alternative to butter.
Chef Chloe’s Chocolate Cake Recipe
Ingredients – Cake
- 3 cups flour
- ⅔ cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ c. water
- 1 ⅔ c. Agave
- 1 c. Canola Oil
- ¼ c. Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla
Ingredients – Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Shortening
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Imitation Vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Soy Milk
- Fresh fruit garnish
Directions – Cake
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Enjoy your guilt-free chocolate cake.
Directions – Frosting
- Melt chocolate in the microwave. Let stand about 10 minutes, until cool.
- Separately, whisk or beat shortening until smooth. Mix in sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Once you achieve the desired consistency, fold in chocolate chips.
- Frost cake according to your taste, and top with a fresh fruit garnish.
This recipe has just 200 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving.