Dr Rachael Ross BRCA Test Results
Dr. Kristi Funk gave Dr. Rachael Ross the news she’d be waiting for: her BRCA test results came back negative. That’s incredible news for Dr. Rachael, but still, anyone with a family history of breast or ovarian cancer should be extremely vigilant about testing and surveillance.
The Doctors: How to Perform a Self Breast Exam
Dr. Funk gave a detailed run-down of how to perform a self breast exam. Perform your exam once a month, about a week after your period, while standing in the shower or lying in bed. Most women don’t realize that their breast tissue extends up to the collar bone and out to both sides. Follow these tips for a thorough examination every month.
- First, disrobe from the waist up and look carefully at your breasts. Ask yourself, are they the same size, shape, and contour as always? Look for redness, thickening skin, or nipple inversions. The most important thing to look for is any type of new change in the breasts.
- Extend your arms straight up and look for skin dimpling or bulges. Also put your hands on your hips and flex in.
- Use the opposite hand to the breast you’re examining. The other hand should be extended up past your head, in order to expand the breast tissue.
- Use your first three fingers and make circles, go sideways, or up and down, using three different pressures: light, medium, and deep. Don’t forget to extend up into the arm pit.
- Finish with a gentle squeeze of the nipple, looking for a bloody or clear discharge.
The Doctors News in 2:00
The Doctors concluded with their News in 2:00 segment. Here are the latest health headlines.
Hugh Jackman Basal Cell Carcinoma
Movie star Hugh Jackman recently made headlines when he was diagnosed basal cell carcinoma. He took to Instagram and urged people to use sunscreen and get checked. Thankfully, Hugh should be good as new in no time.
Deadly Dog Disease
Pet owners, beware; there’s a deadly new disease affecting both dogs and cats. The circo virus is highly contagious, so be on the lookout for lethargy, vomiting and bloody diarrhea.
Cotton Ball Fad Diet
There’s apparently a new fad diet called the cotton ball diet, in which people dip cotton balls in orange juice and eat them in order to feel full. If you need to be told that this practice is dangerous, you’re probably beyond help.
Ward Miller Miracle Baby
Ben Miller recently created a touching documentary about his premature son, Ward, born 15 weeks early. Ward was born with a variety of health problems, but is now 16 months old and thriving. He’s a complete miracle baby.