The Doctors: Doctor On Demand App + Flu Shot Effectiveness

ADVERTISEMENT

The Drs: Should You Forgo The Flu Shot?

The Doctors: Doctor On Demand App + Flu Shot Effectiveness

The Doctors shared how you can use the Doctor on Demand app to reach a real doctor when you don’t want to leave your own home. (Syda Productions / Shutterstock.com)

The Doctors shared that if you’ve ever wished you had a doctor on speed dial, now you can with the app Doctor on Demand. Dr Rachael Ross was joined by Dr Pat Basu to answer a question one grandmother had about flu season. She said her daughter recently had a baby and suggested that anyone who’s going to be around the baby get a flu shot. She heard that the flu shot hasn’t been very effective, so she wants to know what else she can do to protect her granddaughter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dr Basu said that outside of washing your hands and staying away from crowded areas, the number one thing you should be doing is getting a flu shot. He said it’s recommended every year, but because the current shot isn’t as effective, it means that every time the flu virus replicates, it changes a little bit. Over the course of several months, the virus has transformed itself enough to where it’s different than what the vaccine was created for several months ago. It’s only about 20-23% effective, which is the bad news.

The Drs: Doctor On Demand App

The good news is that treating the flu with antivirals like Tamiflu is very effective, especially if you get it within two days of the onset of symptoms. Secondly, you don’t need to be in person to be diagnosed, so try using the Doctor on Demand app rather than making a trip to your doctor’s office.

Dr Basu said 95% of the patient’s issues are resolved within the consultation itself, whether through a prescription or other measures. The other 5% are given distinct advice for what to do next. The Doctor on Demand app can also be used to help with mental health issues as well, so if you’re struggling with depression, the app can also work for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Human Verification: In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.