The Chew: Buttercream Frosting
If you want to touch up your baking skills in steps, maybe you should start with the frosting. That was the idea that Carla Hall had to dress up a store-bought box cake mix by adding her Buttercream Frosting Recipe as a finishing touch.
The Chew: Dana Delany Body of Proof
ABC is really pushing its revamped medical examiner drama Body of Proof, starring Dana Delany. They sent her to The Chew kitchen to bake with Carla. At home, Dana said she likes to make a Oaxacan Chocolate Cake.
Dana also confessed that she was once asked out by former Baretta star Robert Blake. You can watch more of Delany in Body of Proof, Tuesday nights on ABC.
The Chew Layer Cake Recipe
Carla Hall’s contribution to the easy baking episode of The Chew was a buttercream frosting for a yellow box cake mix. She recruited Dana Delany to help her whip it up. Delany said that she loved to bake, and Carla Hall insisted that everyone loves yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Carla Hall Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 lb Butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Cocoa Powder
- 7 1/2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Salt
The Chew: Yellow Cake With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Directions
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Bake your cake batter according to box directions, in two 8” pans.
- Let cakes cool and slice in half horizontally.
- Beat butter for a few minutes, until it gets fluffy.
- Combine confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl, whisking to remove lumps.
- Add sugar mix in batches to the butter, beating until well mixed.
- Put in the vanilla and milk, just barely combining.
- Beat mixture for about five minutes, to a glossy finish.
- Place one cake on a platter and spread with a layer of frosting.
- Continue adding cake layers until all are frosted.
- Add a thin layer of frosting on the top and sides.
- Transfer remaining frosting to a plastic piping bag.
- Use remaining frosting to create designs or patterns along the top, sides, and edges.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and leave at room temperature one hour before serving.