Frittata With Swiss Chard, Pan Con Tomate & Calabrese Bomba
When you are a culinary master like Mario Batali (or even if you just like making fresh food), you can make your own rules in the kitchen and serve breakfast anytime. This hearty dish has a little of everything: bread, a spicy Bomba sauce, and a Frittata that finishes in the oven!
The best part is you can customize this meal however you like, using any type of onions, potatoes or eggs. That way you can incorporate whatever you already have in the kitchen, or put a special touch on the dish. Mario said you can even leave out the eggs if you want!
Depending on how you customize it, the Frittata could cost just $1.30 per serving.
Mario Batali: Calabrese Bomba Recipe Ingredients
- 6 Serrano Peppers
- 6 pickled Pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup pickled Pepperoncini liquid
- 6 Jalapenos
- 1 diced Red Onion
- 1 diced Red Bell Pepper
- 4 Scallions
- 1 tbsp Chile Flakes
The Chew: Calabrese Bomba Recipe Directions
- Combine serranos, pepperoncini, jalapenos, and chili flakes in a food processor to create a rough chop.
- Add in pepperoncini liquid, red pepper, red onion, scallions and olive oil.
- Process into a puree. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.
The Chew: Swiss Chard Frittata Recipe Ingredients
- 3 thinly sliced Fingerling Potatoes
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- 1 bunch chiffonade Swiss Chard
- 1 sliced Red Onion
- 1/2 cup Pecorino
- 8 Eggs
- Merguez Sausage (or your choice of meat, such as Prosciutto or Sardines)
Mario Batali: Swiss Chard Frittata Directions
- Preheat a broiler on high.
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a pan.
- Add red onion and potatoes to heated pan and let soften.
- Once soft, add in garlic until aromatic.
- Add Swiss chard (make sure to chop it all the way down to the stem).
- Whisk eggs together in a large bowl.
- Move contents of pan into the bowl with eggs and mix well.
- Return mixture to pan and add grated Pecorino.
- Stick the pain in the broiler and cook until cheese is brown and eggs are cooked.
- Slice and serve with Pan Con Tomate, Calabrese Bomba, and meats (prepare meat as desired, separate from Frittata ingredients).
The Chew: Pan Con Tomate Recipe Ingredients
- 8 slices Peasant Bread
- 2 halved, very ripe Tomatoes
- 2 peeled cloves Garlic
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
The Chew: Mario Batali Pan Con Tomate Recipe Directions
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- Put bread on the grill, flipping halfway through to brown evenly on each side.
- Take bread off heat.
- Season bread with garlic and olive oil.
- Rub the cut end of a tomato on the bread.
- Add salt if needed.