The Chew: Stephanie Izard’s Sloppy Goats
Stephanie Izard, winner of the fourth season of Top Chef, came on the show today to show us Stephanie Izard’s Sloppy Goats recipe, a tender, well-seasoned burger that she just had to have in her Chicago restaurant.
The Chew: Stephanie Izard’s Sloppy Goats Recipe Ingredients
- Vegetable Oil
- 3 1/2 cups roughly chopped Onions
- 1/3 cup Tomato Paste
- 8 cloves roughly chopped Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Concentrate
- 3 tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Malt Vinegar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds canned diced Tomatoes with juice
- 3 tablespoons Miso
- splash of Jan’s Orange Hot Sauce
- 5 pounds ground 80/20 Beef
- 4 cups shredded Cabbage
- 1 cup Rosemary Aioli
- 6 Squish Squash Rolls
For the Rosemary Aioli:
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 1/2 cups Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sambal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Honey
For Jan’s Orange Hot Sauce:
- 1 cup Manzano Chiles (seeded and sliced)
- 1/2 cup Dried Apricots
- 1 cup Carrot Juice
- 1/2 cup Carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
For the Squish Squash Rolls:
- 12 grams Active Dry Yeast
- 287 grams Water plus more to cover yeast
- 700 grams Bread Flour
- 350 grams Squash Puree
- 91 grams Egg Yolk
- 70 grams Brown Butter plus more for brushing
- 14 grams Salt
The Chew: Stephanie Izard’s Sloppy Goats Directions
- In a large pot heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook them until soft and translucent, taken care not to brown them, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for two minutes.
- Add the tamarind, yellow mustard, dark brown sugar, malt vinegar, soy sauce, tomatoes, miso and hot sauce and simmer for 60 minutes.
- In batches, transfer mixture to a blender and process until very smooth.
- Working in batches, brown the beef in a large skillet.
- Transfer beef to a pot and cover with the sauce.
- Heat over medium low heat and keep warm.
- Mix the cabbage and aioli in a bowl and season with salt.
- Toast the buns.
- Scoop 8oz of sloppy goat into the bottom buns.
- Top with a handful of the rosemary cabbage slaw and cover with the top bun.
For the Squish Squash Rolls (Yields 11 rolls)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the active dry yeast with just enough luke warm water to cover.
- Mix with a whisk and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients with the proofed yeast and mix until incorporated.
- Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Place the dough in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Mix the dough for 8 to 10 minutes until a smooth cohesive ball forms.
- Let dough proof at room temparture for one hour.
- Punch down and fold the left side over the right side, and the top over the bottom.
- Portion into 140 gram pieces and roll them into balls.
- Place the shaped dough onto a sheet tray and brush with brown butter, proof for one hour.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, brushing them with the brown butter as soon as they come out of the oven.