The Chew: Clinton Kelly’s Herb Butter Chicken Breast Recipe
Clinton Kelly on The Chew celebrated the first day of spring with his Herb Butter Chicken Recipe. He had some help from Broadway veteran and Smash star Megan Hilty.
One key to making this recipe effectively is the compound butter, which just means that the butter is softened to room temperature.
The Chew: Singer & Actress Megan Hilty
The show’s guest, Megan Hilty, said that seeing musicals as a child inspired her to pursue singing and acting. Now she has been on Broadway in 9 to 5: The Musical and Wicked. She is also in the NBC drama Smash, which is finishing its second season on Saturday nights.
Regardless of the grim fate of her TV show, Hilty will land on her feet. She has a new album, It Happens All The Time, and I doubt it will be long before we see her popping up on stage or screen again.
She said that the CD is a mix of covers and original recordings. Her favorite track is called “Be A Man.”
Clinton Kelly: Herb Butter Chicken Breast Ingredients
- 4 Chicken Breasts (with skin, bone-in!)
- 1 1/2 sticks softened Butter
- 1 Shallot
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Parsley
- 1/2 cup Mint
- 2 cups Asparagus
- 1 cup Peas
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew Herb Butter Chicken Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Pick out the leaves and chop your mint and parsley before getting started.
- Chop the shallots, blanch your peas, and cut asparagus into 1/8” diagonals.
- Combine butter and herbs in a bowl, mashing to combine.
- Remove 1/3 of the mixture and reserve in a separate bowl.
- Gently loosen the skin on your chicken breasts, using your fingers.
- Rub 1 tbsp butter on each of the breasts.
- After washing your hands, season the chicken using salt and pepper.
- In a saute pan on medium high, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the chicken, skin facing down, cooking until golden brown, about five minutes.
- Flip the chicken and place it in the oven, cooking around 10-15 minutes.
- Chicken is done when internal temperature is 165 F.
- Remove from pan and let rest before serving.
- Return pan to stove and add olive oil if needed.
- Add shallot, with salt and pepper to season.
- Cook until just soft.
- Add remaining butter and swirl to create a sauce.
- Insert peas and asparagus, seasoning as desired.
- Toss until warmed.
- Use white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Let wine reduce by half, for up to two minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Add lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Adjust seasonings and serve chicken with peas and asparagus.