The Chew: Chicken & Sausage Stew
Clinton Kelly made a meal for his co-hosts when they all got together recently for a movie night. Here is the Spicy Chicken and Sausage Stew recipe that he recreated on The Chew.
The recipe is a simplified version of a French cassoulet, making it easier to put together and perfect when you have to feed a group. Do you have a go-to party meal, such as chili? What do you make when you don’t know how many guests to expect? This could be a perfect recipe to add to your arsenal.
Clinton said this is one of those dishes that gets even better the next day as leftovers, so if you’re looking for something hearty that can last for more than one meal, here you go.
Clinton Kelly Spicy Chicken and Sausage Stew Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 lb Chicken Thighs
- 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Pepper
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 28 oz Navy Beans
- Rosemary & Thyme
- 1/2 cup Panko
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew Chicken & Sausage Stew Instructions
- Preheat your broiler on high.
- On medium high heat, add olive oil to a stock pot.
- Prepare chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Add to pot in one even layer. Brown on each side for four minutes.
- Remove thighs and cut into chunks of desired size for your stew.
- Brown sausage in the pan for about seven minutes.
- Mix in carrots, onions, chili pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook about five minutes, until onion becomes soft.
- Add herbs, except parsley, cooking for a minute.
- Mix in chicken stock and let reduce.
- Once half the liquid has reduced, add tomatoes and beans.
- Add chicken chunks back into stew, cooking 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove rosemary and thyme. Season to taste.
- Combine Panko, parmesan and parsley with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil.
- Sprinkle the topping over the stew and then broil the pot in your oven until golden, around two minutes.
- Serve immediately.