The Chew: Stress-Free Suppers
Nia Long from The Best Man Holiday was Clinton Kelly’s assistant on The Chew. The Chew audience voted for Chewsday Tuesday and had the pair make a Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe.
This is a meal you can make at the beginning of the week and turn the leftovers into other treats. If you want to make it into quesadillas, for example, just shred the chicken and add in cheese, avocado and pineapple before serving it on tortillas instead of rice. Of course, one of the best parts here is that you can make it in your slow cooker!
The Chew: Nia Long The Best Man Holiday
Long said she loves to cook, and she has two kids, ages 13 and 2. She enjoys patronizing her local farmer’s market to support the farmers and get fresh food. Though her family is from Trinidad, she grew up in Brooklyn.
She has come a long way from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
The Best Man came out 15 years ago, and the cast reunited for this sequel. In an unusual move, the cast did a table read of the script for the studio before production could begin.
Long and her castmates think of the film as a labor of love. The Best Man Holiday is opening in theaters November 15 2013.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Whole Chicken (in eight pieces, breast split)
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Red Chile Flakes
- 1/2 bunch chopped Scallions
- 1/2 bunch sliced Scallions
- 13 oz Orange Marmalade
- 3 tbsp BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Water
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Crock Pot Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe Directions
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil on medium high in a skillet.
- In batches, sear chicken on all sides. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Transfer seared chicken to a crock pot (slow cooker).
- Combine the rest of your ingredients, except the sliced scallions.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Cook on high for two to three hours or low for five to six hours.
- Serve sweet & sour chicken on a bed of rice with sauce.
- Garnish with the sliced scallions.