The Chew: Apple Pie Dessert
What is your favorite type of pie? It doesn’t get any more all-American than Apple Pie, and that is exactly what Carla Hall was creating on The Chew. Check out this Skillet Apple Pie recipe, giving a twist to the classic dessert.
This dessert recipe combines another favorite Southern staple, the sweet potato. And don’t forget the salt. According to Carla, you need a bit in most desserts.
The Chew: Carla Hall Skillet Apple Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2/3 cup Water
- 2 sticks Butter (cubed)
- 4 cups Flour
- 4 cups Pecans, halved
- 1 Egg White
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 large Sweet Potato (diced to 1/2")
- 6 Granny Smith Apples (diced to 1/2")
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg, whisked with 1 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Bourbon
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
- Whipped Cream (optional)
The Chew: Skillet Apple Pie Directions
- Refrigerate butter and flour until needed.
- Mix sugar with water and salt in a liquid measuring cup. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Combine butter and flour in a bowl, using a mixer. Add water to help combine. Do not over-process the dough.
- Divide dough in half, cover in plastic, and store in fridge for one to 24 hours.
- To make the pecans, preheat your oven to 300 F.
- Prepare a baking sheet.
- Beat an egg white into soft peaks and toss in the pecan halves.
- Combine ginger, cinnamon, sugars, and salt. Sprinkle over coated pecans and carefully mix.
- Spread the mixture in one layer on your pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes throughout.
- Let pan cool, separating nuts using a fork.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine cinnamon, salt, corn starch, sugar, and ginger in a bowl.
- Coat apple and sweet potato pieces in the mixture.
- In a saute pan, heat oil with butter on medium high heat.
- Cook apple mix in the pan for up to four minutes; apples should start to soften.
- Add lemon zest, bourbon, and lemon juice. Cook an additional minute.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool.
- On a flour-dusted surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness.
- For 5" cast iron pans, cut dough into 6 1/2" circles. You need to make 12 circles.
- Line individual pans with dough, crimping at the edges.
- Bake dough in pans, baking around 11 minutes. Dough should achieve pale brown color.
- Cool and remove from oven. It’s OK if dough is not fully cooked.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 F.
- Divide apple mix among six baked pie shells.
- Top each individual pie with the remaining dough, crimping to seal edges.
- Brush each crust with egg wash and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Cut vents on top of each pie.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Top with candied pecans. Optionally, garnish with whipped cream and/or powdered sugar.