The Chew: Battle of the Iron Grandmas – Meatloaf Recipes
It was an all new Battle of the Iron Grandmas on The Chew. In fall 2012, the show held a Thanksgiving-themed cookoff among seasoned culinary experts, and Mama T was declared the winner. This time, the contest was all about the best meatloaf recipes, and the contenders did not waste any time before getting cooking. Check out the See Me Not Meatloaf and Kosher Peppery Meatloaf Recipes.
The Chew: See Me Not Meatloaf Recipe By Mercedes Gonzalez
Here is everything that contender Mercedes Gonzales threw into her meatloaf recipe.
Mercedes Gonzalez See Me Not Meatloaf Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, ribbed
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, ribbed
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 2 White Onions, quartered
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Fresh Cilantro
- 3/4 lb Ground Veal
- 3/4 lb Ground Beef
- 3/4 lb Ground Pork
- 3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: See Me Not Meatloaf Recipe Directions
- Prepare sofrito by pureeing peppers with six cloves garlic, onions, cilantro and black pepper in a food processor.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium. Add puree and cook about 15 minutes, until browned.
- Let sofrito mixture cool.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine meats with eggs, milk, cheese, breadcrumbs, remaining garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Last, mix in sofrito once cooled.
- Shape into a loaf and smother with ketchup and stick it in the oven.
- Fill an oven-safe bowl with hot water and place on a low rack under the loaf.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes and serve.
The Chew: Kosher Peppery Meatloaf Recipe
Another grandma, Jeanette Friedman, shared her kosher spin on the classic all-American dish with her Kosher Peppery Meatloaf.
The Chew: Jeanette Friedman Kosher Peppery Meatloaf Ingredients
- 2 large Yellow Onions
- 3 Shallots
- 1 lb Cremini Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Adobo
- 3 tbsp Garlic
- 2.5 lb Golden Yukon Potatoes
- 3 cup Broth
- 2 lb Kosher Beef, chopped
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup Ajvar seasoning
- 1/2 cup Matzoh Meal
- 1/2 cup Jalapeno
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Mushroom Soup Mix
- Corn Starch
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Kosher Peppery Meatloaf Directions
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Dice onions and shallots. Slice mushrooms.
- Use a large skillet seasoned with olive oil to cook onions with shallots.
- As onions start to become clear, add 1 tbsp each of garlic and adobo.
- Cook on medium low until onions start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes. Stir often.
- Divide finished golden mixture into three roughly equal parts.
- Boil potatoes with skin on until they become tender.
- Rinse with cold water and remove skins. Mash to desired consistency.
- Combine potatoes with 1/3 of your onion mixture.
- Add a cup of broth, remaining Adobo, and garlic to taste.
- Mix beef with Ajvar, Matzoh, and tomato paste.
- Combine with 1/3 of the onion mixture, jalapeno, 1/2 cup Worcestershire, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Shape into a form about 3/4” thick. Top with mashed potatoes and shape into a loaf.
- Insert loaf into baking dish, cover and bake about 60-75 minutes.
- For gravy, use remaining onion mix in a skillet, heating until it sizzles.
- Add soup mix, Worcestershire, and remaining broth.
- Stir constantly and thicken with cornstarch as needed.