The Chew: Burger Time
The Chew celebrated its favorite burgers in this episode, including Michael’s French Onion Burger. Then it was time to reunite former Top Chef competitors Carla Hall and Richard Blais for a quickfire challenge you will only see on The Chew. Try Richard’s Corned Beef Burger or Carla’s classic approach.
Richard Blais went on to become the champion of Top Chef All Stars, but he told The Chew his first ever job was cooking fish at McDonald’s. Which of the competitors could come up with the best burger in just minutes? Here were the resulting recipes.
The Chew: Richard Blais Corned Beef Burger Recipe
This burger was a twist on corned beef and could be perfect on St. Patrick’s Day.
The Chew Blais Burger Ingredients
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 lb Pastrami
- 1 clove Garlic
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup Mayo
- 1/4 cup Bread & Butter Pickles
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 10 slices Rye Bread
- 1/2 cup Sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup Onions, caramelized
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Richard Blais Burger Recipe Directions
- Heat two pans on medium-high.
- Combine meats into patties the size of your rye bread, and season.
- Heat olive oil in one pan, cooking the patties without overcrowding.
- Sear on the first side to a dark brown, for up to four minutes.
- Then flip to second side and cook to desired temperature.
- During final minutes of cooking, add thyme, butter, and garlic.
- Baste burger patties with oil and 2 tbsp butter.
- Top with cheese and cover for 30 seconds, to melt.
- Remove patties and plate them.
- In your second pan, heat 2 tbsp butter to toast both sides of bread.
- Combine pickles with ketchup and mayo. Season as desired.
- Combine onions with sauerkraut.
- To assemble burgers, smear condiments on bread. Then add burger, onions, and sauerkraut.
- Press top bun firmly to seal ingredients together. Serve immediately.
The Chew: Carla Hall’s Burger Recipe
Carla’s contribution to the quickfire challenge was a more classic approach using fresh vegetables.
Carla Hall Burger Ingredients
- 6 Patties (about 6 oz)
- 6 Brioche Buns
- 6 slices Cheddar
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- 6 leaves Romaine
- 1/3 cup Dill Pickle Chips
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup Mustard
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
The Chew: Carla Hall Burger Directions
- Heat a griddle on medium high.
- Season burger patties as desired.
- Prepare griddle using olive oil.
- Cook patties up to four minutes on first side; then flip.
- Cook about another three minutes on the other side.
- Top with cheese and cover to melt as patty finishes.
- Set cooked patties aside.
- Combine mayo with mustard, and apply to bottom bun.
- Place burger cheese side down on bottom bun.
- Top with onion, pickle, lettuce and tomato.
- Add more mayo to the top bun and place it on top.