The Chew: Rachael Ray’s Secret Caesar Spaghetti
After 20 or so books and around 12 years on television, there isn’t a whole lot that Rachael Ray hasn’t told us about her family’s traditional dishes. In fact, the only real secrets Rachael even had to share were some shortcomings her family had concerning food: Rachael can’t make a cup of coffee to save her life and, somehow, she and her mother always seem to light bread on fire when it’s being made. All weaknesses aside, Rachael decided to show us some strengths in other areas featuring flavors she and her family have always favored with her caesar spaghetti recipe.
Rachael Ray’s Secret Caesar Spaghetti Recipe
Caesar Spaghetti Ingredients:
- 1 pound Spaghetti
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 6 Anchovy fillets (drained)
- 4 large Garlic cloves (grated or finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball the amount)
- 2 medium heads Escarole (washed)
- 1 Lemon (halved)
- freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg (to taste)
- 2 large Egg yolks
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano
Rachael Ray’s Secret Caesar Spaghetti Directions
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, salt the water.
- Add the pasta and cook until just shy of al dente, according to package directions.
- Heads up: you need to reserve about 1 cup of the starchy cooking water just before draining.
- While the pasta is cooking, put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the anchovies and cook until they’ve melted into the oil, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic. Rachael uses a truffle shaver to shred the garlic, because it gets it nice and thin.
- Stir 1 minute then add in Worcestershire – this is to make it taste as much like a caesar salad as possible.
- Shred the escarole and add several handfuls at a time, wilting the greens in the garlic oil.
- Dress the greens with lots of pepper and a little nutmeg, then squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the pan.
- Add the reserved starchy cooking water to the eggs in a small bowl and beat together to temper them.
- Turn off the heat and add the drained pasta and the egg mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Add half of the cheese and toss vigorously for 1 minute.
- Dress the pasta with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and transfer to a serving dish.
- Pass the remaining cheese at the table