The Chew: Michael Symon 5 in Five
5 in Five is the segment where Michael Symon makes a favorite dish using five ingredients in five minutes for about $5. For this Presidential Plates episode, the Presidential Seared Scallops recipe was inspired by some of President Obama’s favorite ingredients.
The Chew: Michael Symon Seared Scallops Recipe
Michael recommended dry packed scallops. If you can’t find them packaged that way, let them dry on paper towels before searing.
The Chew: Presidential Scallops Ingredients
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/3 cup Raisins
- 10 Scallops, large
- 10 oz. Baby Spinach
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup Pistachios
- Zest & Juice of one Orange
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon: Presidential Scallops Directions
- Heat two large pans on medium high.
- In a third small pan, saute wine with raisins and simmer about three minutes.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper on both sides. Sear scallops in a hot pan, about one to two minutes per side. Don’t move them around too much.
- In the second pan, saute spinach with salt and pepper, tossing until coated. Remove once spinach begins to wilt, which should take less than a minute.
- Flip scallops and add half the portion of butter. As butter browns, mix in wine/raisin sauce.
- Finish with pistachios, orange juice, and orange zest, as well as remaining butter, until emulsified.
- Add parsley, toss until everything is combined, and plate scallops on a bed of spinach.
This all adds up to about $4.98 per serving, and the recipe makes five servings.
The Chew: President Obama’s Favorite Foods
According to the Internet, here is a list of some of President Obama’s favorite foods. Isn’t this a list of most people’s favorite foods? There is something for everyone, at the very least.
- Cheeseburgers with Dijon Mustard
- Hawaiian style pizza
- Trail mix
- Granola bars
- Macaroni and cheese
- Italian food
- Mexican food
- Sweet Potato Pie