The Chew: Pie Dippers Recipe
For dessert, Carla Hall created Pie Dippers, a recipe using leftover pie crusts. She said you could also call it Pie Fries, and these are a great dipping dessert.
If, like me, you are wondering what can ever be done with leftover pie crust, we may finally have an answer, thanks to Carla Hall. Here is what she came up with.
The Chew: Carla Hall Pie Dippers Ingredients
- 1/2 cup & 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 sticks Butter, cubed & chilled
- 4 cups Flour
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- Poppy Seeds
The Chew Pie Dippers Recipe & Carla Hall Pie Fries Directions
- Leave flour and butter in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- Mix water, salt, and sugar in a small bowl or measuring up. Let chill 30 minutes.
- With a mixer, combine flour and butter in a large bowl.
- Butter should become the size of peas. Add water and combine thoroughly, but do not overwork.
- Split dough into two separate discs. Cover in plastic and stick them in the fridge to proof for one to 24 hours. Or you can freeze your dough for up to three months. Alternately, you could use a store bought flat sheet of dough and start from this step.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Roll dough on a flat prepared surface, to about 1/4” thick.
- Use a pastry wheel to cut 1” wide strips in the dough. They should be about 4” long.
- Move strips to a lined baking tray.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with a preferred topping.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes; crust should become golden brown.
- Let cool and serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
The Chew: Pie Dippers Toppings & Pie Fries Garnishes
You have different topping and flavor options to make these desserts really pop or pass them around at a party.
- Try combining two teaspoons of Cinnamon and 1/2 cup Sugar. Add that to peach preserves.
- Combine poppy seeds with lemon curd for an interesting combination.
- Or mix Parmesan, Black Pepper, and Paprika for a savory flavor.