The Chew: Payday Candy Bar Recipe
Remember the classic Payday candy bars? Michael Symon got everyone in the spirit by showing a classic commercial, leading into how you can make your own homemade version of a Payday candy bar. Check out his sweet, salty, crunchy Nut Nuggets Recipe (a.k.a. Payday Candy Bar Recipe).
Learn To Make Homemade Dulce De Leche
There is a bonus in this recipe, because you can learn how to make your own dulce de leche at home, and even prepare extra in advance. Also, you can wet your spatula to make spreading the filling easier. If you are feeling crazy, throw in some cayenne pepper for a little bonus spice.
Homemade Payday Candy Bar Recipe: Michael Symon Nut Nuggets Recipe Ingredients
- 4 cups Roasted Peanuts
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 stick Unsalted Butter
- 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
Michael Symon: The Chew Nut Nuggets Recipe Directions with Homemade Dulce De Leche
- To make homemade dulce de leche, place the sweetened condensed milk can in the bottom of a deep pot.
- Fill the pot with water and ensure the can is covered with water by several inches.
- Bring water to a boil over four hours. Add more water as needed to keep the water line well above the can. Otherwise, the cans will explode during cooking.
- You can use more than one can to prep additional milk for future recipes.
- After four hours, carefully remove cans using tongs and let them cool on the counter or a cutting board.
- They can be stored at room temperature after boiling.
- If you don’t want to boil for so long, pour the milk into a saute pan and cook on medium low for 45-60 minutes, stirring often until milk turns to a caramel color.
- Spray a 13 x 9 pan.
- Line the pan with wax paper. Spray the paper with cooking spray.
- Pour two cups of peanuts into the bottom of the pan, smoothing it out evenly.
- Melt butter on medium heat in a sauce pot.
- Add marshmallows, stirring constantly until all are melted.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk in the dulce de leche with peanut butter.
- Combine the mixture to a smooth, even consistency.
- Pour this over the peanuts and smooth it using a spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining peanuts in an even layer on top.
- Press peanuts down using your hands so they stick to your filling.
- Let set for four to five hours, or overnight.
- Cut into serving size pieces.