The Chew Dish of the Day: Beef Stew Recipe
Chef Michael Symon said that he loves making a stew on the weekends, because it can cook all day long and make the house smell great. Here is how to make the beef stew recipe that he remembers his mother making when he was growing up.
The Chew crew stressed the importance of browning meat in a stew before letting it cook with the other ingredients. Also, when you are slow cooking a recipe like a stew, the extra cooking time allows vegetables to fully absorb the flavor.
As part of this One Pot Wonder episode, Michael stressed that this is a recipe that’s easy to clean up. Since everything is cooked in the same pot, you only have one dish to wash at the end.
The Chew Beef Stew Ingredients
- 5 Shallots, halved
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 1 Fresno Chili
- 1 Celery Root
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Parsnips
- 2 Turnips
- 2 lb Chuck Roast, cubed
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander
- 1 tbsp Smoked Chipotle Powder
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 1 cup Parsley
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Wine
- 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt
Michael Symon Beef Stew Recipe Directions
- Heat a Dutch oven on medium high.
- Prepare meat with salt and pepper, dredging in flour until covered.
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in your Dutch oven.
- Add the meat to brown. Do not overcrowd the pan. Heat in batches if needed.
- Transfer browned meat to a plate.
- Turn heat to high and cook the shallots and garlic until charred, about two minutes.
- Stir and let cook another two minutes.
- Add Fresno chili and remaining vegetables, as well as salt and pepper.
- Toss in coriander, nutmeg, and Chipotle Powder, cooking until aromatic.
- Return meat to the mixture, adding bay leaves, cinnamon stick and thyme.
- Deglaze your pan using red wine and a wooden spoon.
- Once wine has reduced by half, add chicken stock.
- Bring liquid to a boil. Then lower heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for about two hours, or longer if desired.
- Meat should be tender when done.
- You can also let liquid evaporate for a thicker stew by leaving the lid off for part of the cooking time.
- Take out cinnamon and bay leaves before serving. Top each bowl with parsley and Greek yogurt.