Nigella Lawson: “Nigellisima” Book Review
To join their steakhouse celebration, The Chew hosts welcomed the “sultry siren” of the food world, Nigella Lawson. Nigella currently appears on the ABC cooking competition The Taste, and has just released a new book, Nigellisima: Easy Italian-Inspired Recipes.
Nigella is not Italian, but she wishes she were! She explained that “decided to become Italian” when she went to Italy for the first time at the age of sixteen. To celebrate her favorite culture, Nigella prepared two dishes that added an Italian spin to American steakhouse classics. She shared a Tagliata for Two recipe and the perfect side dish, a Baked Spinach recipe.
Nigella Lawson: Tagliata For Two Recipe
The Chew Tagliata Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Just under 1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 12 ounces New York Strip Steak (1 Steak)
- 8 ounces halved Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
- few sprigs fresh Oregano (to serve; optional)
Nigella Lawson Tagliata Directions
- In a small dish combine the olive oil, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, salt, and red wine vinegar. Oil the steak lightly and place in a hot frying pan. Cook for 2 minutes each side, then remove to the dish of spicy marinade and let sit for 2 minutes each side in the dish.
- Remove the steeped steak to a board. Meanwhile, arrange cherry tomatoes, cut-side down, in the marinade dish. Cut the steak into thin slices and arrange on a serving dish.
- “Smoosh” tomatoes around in the marinade, then pour over the ribbons of meat. Add a few leaves of fresh oregano, then serve immediately.
Nigella Lawson: Baked Spinach Recipe
The Chew Baked Spinach Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 peeled Garlic clove
- 10 cups (packed) Baby Spinach (washed and dried)
- 2 tablespoons White Wine or Vermouth
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Ricotta
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- freshly ground Pepper and Salt to taste
- freshly grated Nutmeg
- Butter for greasing
Nigella Lawson Baked Spinach Directions
- Butter a small ovenproof dish and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a wide pan, warm olive oil, add garlic, and cook until garlic is bronze-colored. Over low heat, stir in the spinach until reduced. Turn up heat, add wine or vermouth, and toss gently until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan, ricotta, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat in eggs, then transfer mixture to the oven dish. Bake in the oven for ten minutes until set. Let stand five minutes, then serve.