The Chew: Dish Of The Day
Michael Symon was excited to share his new twist on the classic BLT sandwich. It all started with his Pork Cracklings Recipe, which ended up in his Pork Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich.
According to Symon, these are a popular restaurant menu item, and they are easy to make in batches because once you dehydrate the pork skin, it will keep for up to one month.
The Chew: Michael Symon’s Pork Cracklings Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb Pork Skin
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Onion, halved
- 1 tbsp Peppercorns
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Zest of 2 Limes
- 2 tsp Paprika
- Peanut Oil
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
The Chew Pork Cracklings Recipe Directions
- Cut pork skin into four pieces.
- In a saucepan on medium, simmer a gallon of water.
- Add jalapeno, slit down one side, with onions, peppercorns, and garlic.
- Add skins and cook about one hour, until they start to become gelatinous.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Remove skins from water bath using slotted spoon and let rest on a plate.
- Cool skins in fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- On a cutting board, place the cooled pieces skin side down.
- Using a sharp knife, slice off meat and fat to leave a thin skin layer.
- Repeat until you have only skin remaining.
- Arrange skins on a prepared baking tray and bake for 90 minutes.
- Flip and cook another 90 minutes, until completely dried.
- Let cool out of oven.
- Remove any remaining meat and fat from skins using the back of a knife.
- Combine paprika, salt, and lime zest.
- Heat peanut oil in a pot or deep fryer to 350 F.
- Break cracklings into one-inch pieces.
- Fry in batches for 30-45 seconds.
- Season with paprika salt mixture after frying and serve immediately.
The Chew: PLT Sandwich Recipe
Forget the BLT. Michael Symon used his pork cracklings to make a PLT sandwich on The Chew. If you don’t want to make your own skins, you can use store-bought pork rinds and use those instead. The sandwich is about 470 calories, less than some fast food sandwiches.
The Chew Pork Lettuce And Tomato Recipe Ingredients
- 12 slices White Bread
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/2 recipe Pork Cracklings
- 2 slices Tomatoes
- 1 head Bibb Lettuce
The Chew: Michael Symon Pork Lettuce And Tomato Sandwich Recipe Directions
- Combine mayo with hot sauce and lime juice in a medium bowl.
- Divide mayo mix among all bread slices.
- Layer lettuce, tomato, and pork cracklings on half the bread slices.
- Top each sandwich with the other bread slice and serve.