The Chew: Michael Symon Vs Carla Hall
For The Chew’s Instant Thanksgiving face-off, Daphne Oz accused Michael Symon of pandering to the judges, but he said he was just being considerate of his guests. Would this tactic give him the edge in a face-off with Carla Hall? Get his Creamed Spinach Pie Recipe below, and don’t forget to try Carla Hall’s Cranberry Sweet Potato Shortcake Recipe.
For even more holiday flavors, load up on Thanksgiving recipes from Pinterest.
The Chew: Michael Symon Creamed Spinach Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 9 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Fried Onions
- 1 minced Yellow Onion
- 8 tbsp Flour
- 2 1/4 cups Whole Milk
- 24 oz Spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyere Cheese
- Pre-made Pie Crust
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon: The Chew Creamed Spinach Pie Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Let dough thaw and roll it to 1/8” thick. Press it into the form of a pie pan.
- Place foil over the crust and add baking beans or weights.
- Remove from the oven after 15 minutes. Remove weights.
- Prick the bottom of the crust using a fork.
- Bake another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and rserve.
- Heat a dutch oven on medium high.
- Add 8 tbsp butter with onions, garlic and salt.
- Cook until tender and translucent, for six or seven minutes.
- Whisk in flour so it coats the onions.
- Cook 30 seconds before adding milk.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a low boil, while whisking.
- Reduce and simmer.
- Heat a saute pan to medium high. Add olive oil and butter.
- Once butter melts, add spinach with salt and pepper.
- Cook to wilt the spinach, for one or two minutes.
- Add spinach and parmesan to milk mixture and combine well.
- Take off heat.
- Pour creamed spinach into the pie shell.
- Add gruyere cheese to the top.
- Bake 20 minutes, until cheese is browned and spinach bubbles.
- Remove from heat.
- Top with fried onions.
- Let rest a few minutes before serving.