The Chew: Homemade Holiday Cheesecake
Michael Symon made his 96-year-old grandfather’s classic holiday Pretzel Crust Cheesecake Recipe, with a little help from guest chef Curtis Stone. Do you have a family favorite that really makes your holiday pop?
Symon said his grandfather also puts goose fat on his toast every morning, and he is very active, still living on his own. He loves to golf, bowl, and cook desserts at church. I can only hope to stay that busy and vital as I age.
The Chew: Michael Symon Pretzel Crust Cheesecake Recipe Ingredients
This is a balance of sweet and salty, with a thicker crust and thinner cheesecake layer than you might be used to in a classic recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups ground Pretzels
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup ground Graham Crackers
- 8 tbsp melted Unsalted Butter
- 24 oz room temp Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 5 Eggs
- 10 oz Strawberry Preserves
Michael Symon: The Chew Pretzel Crust Cheesecake Recipe Directions
- To make the crust, preheat the oven to 300 F.
- Combine graham cracker and pretzel crumbs with butter and sugar. Add a pinch of salt.
- Press this in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Reserve.
- Make the filling in a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment.
- Cream the cream cheese on medium, scraping as needed.
- Mix in sour cream, followed by sugar.
- Turn mixer to low and add eggs individually to mix completely.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour filling over the crust and bake for about an hour, until set.
- Let cheesecake rest as you prepare the jam topping.
- Melt the jam on low heat in a sauce pot.
- Once melted, strain if you want to remove the seeds.
- Pour jam over the cheesecake and smooth it into an even layer.
- Let chill 30 minutes to one hour.
- Slice and serve warm, or refrigerate to completely chill.