The Chew: Michael Symon’s BBQ Chicken Recipe & Cleveland BBQ Sauce Recipe
On The Chew, Michael Symon showed us how to properly BBQ up some chicken with his BBQ chicken recipe and his Cleveland BBQ sauce recipe.
The Chew: BBQ Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 4 Chicken Breasts (bone in; skin on)
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup Cleveland BBQ sauce or your favorite sauce (link to Michael’s Cleveland BBQ Sauce)
For the Marinade:
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced into rings)
- 1 teaspoon toasted Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Hot Smoked Paprika
- 2 Garlic cloves (peeled and smashed)
- 2 Limes (juiced)
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The Chew: BBQ Chicken Directions
For the Marinade:
- A day ahead of time, whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Season the marinade with salt and pepper then add all of your chicken.
- Toss to evenly coat all of the chicken then pour everything in to a gallon sized zip top bag and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, remove the chicken from the marinade and let the chill come off of it, about 30 minutes.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Discard the remaining marinade.
- In the meantime preheat your grill to medium high heat and brush the grates with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes with the lid down.
- Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 7 to 8 minutes with the lid down.
- When the chicken is almost cooked through, start brushing it with the BBQ sauce, continuing to baste until the sauce gets sticky and slightly charred.
- Continue to baste for 4 to 5 minutes or until the chicken is 160 degrees internally.
- Serve with your favorite Summer time accompaniments.
The Chew: Cleveland BBQ Sauce Recipe Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onion (minced)
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Seed
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seed
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Sherry Vinegar
- 3 ounce can Chipotle Adobo (pureed until smooth)
- 2 cups Ballpark Mustard
- 1 pinch Salt
Michael Symon Cleveland BBQ Sauce Directions
- Sweat onions and garlic over low heat for 1 minute with a pinch of salt in olive oil.
- Add coriander and cumin seeds and let them bloom for additional minute.
- Add sugar and melt.
- Add vinegars and reduce over medium heat for 10 minutes by about 1/4.
- Remove from heat and stir in chipotle and mustard.