The Chew: Michael Symon’s Bacon Fried Stuffed Hot Dogs
Michael Symon thinks of hot dogs first when he thinks of street food. Michael thought that, for Cleveland, they should take the hot dog to the next level with his Bacon Fried Stuffed Hot Dogs Recipe. Him and his staff used to eat these at Lola, his restaurant, a long time ago, and everyone though they were delicious, even if you feel like taking a nap after you eat one. This bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed hot dog is fried, making it the most delicious artery-clogging delicacy ever conceived.
The Chew: Bacon Fried Stuffed Hot Dogs Recipe Ingredients
- Peanut or Vegetable Oil to be used for frying
- 1 tablespoon of Unsalted Butter
- 1 large and thinly slice Spanish Onion
- 6 Hot Dogs (pick your favorite brand)
- 6 slices American Cheese that you have cut in half.
- 6 slices of Bacon
- 12 Toothpicks
- 6 Hot Dog Buns
- Shasha Sauce
- Coleslaw (for serving)
- Pickled Peppers (for serving)
- French Fries (for serving)
- Mayonnaise (for serving)
The Chew: Bacon Fried Stuffed Hot Dogs Recipe Directions
- While you are preheating your oil to 350 degrees F, set your stove to medium heat and place a large saute pan over it.
- Add the butter, a pinch of salt, and your onions to the pan once it has warmed up.
- Evenly coat the onions with the butter by tossing them in the pan, then, cook them for about 12 minutes until they have turned golden brown.
- Cut slices lengthwise into your hot dogs without going all the way through.
- Place two half slices of the cheese in between the slits, then press the dogs back together.
- Secure a piece of bacon to one end of a hotdog with a toothpick, then wrap the bacon around the rest of the hotdog, securing it at the other end with another toothpick.
- Repeat step six on all your remaining hot dogs.
- Without burdening the oil with too many hot dogs, fry the hot dogs in oil for three to five minutes, until it is crispy.
- Transfer the hot dogs to a draining rack or paper towels, removing the toothpicks.
- Put the hot dogs on buns and top them with caramelized onion and shasha sauce.
- For serving, top with any other condiments you want.