The Chew: Cauliflower Steak
The Chew’s Michael Symon made something for dinner that was only 200 calories! Check out his Pan-Roasted Cauliflower with Scallops Recipe. Have you ever tried a so-called Cauliflower Steak?
Symon suggested making sure you are eating at least 50% vegetables when you are trying to cut calories in a smart way. Cauliflower Steak will satisfy you without adding to your waistline. Try cutting a head into 2” steaks, all the way to the core (just remove the parts you don’t want). This will give you a great presentation.
As for the scallops, make sure not to overcrowd the pan or they will not cook correctly. Let the heat and fat do their thing when you first add scallops to your oil.
Michael Symon: The Chew Scallops & Cauliflower Steak Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb Dry Sea Scallops
- 1 sliced head Cauliflower
- 2 tbsp rinsed Capers
- 1 minced Shallot
- Juice & zest of a Lemon
- 1/4 cup toasted Pine Nuts
- 1 tsp minced White Anchovy
- 1 minced clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Juice & zest of an Orange
- 1/4 cup Parsley leaves
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Michael Symon Scallops & Cauliflower Steak Recipe Directions
- Preheat broiler on high.
- Saute olive oil on medium high heat in a saute pan.
- Arrange cauliflower in the pan and caramelize for about a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Move pan to broiler and cook to brown the tops, around four or five minutes. Watch so you don’t burn it!
- Combine capers with anchovy, shallot, honey, garlic, and citrus juice and zest.
- Whisk in olive oil with salt and pepper. Set this vinaigrette aside.
- Remove side muscles from scallops and dry them.
- Season scallops with salt and place them in a hot saute pan in olive oil.
- Let them brown, but sear the first side for 60 to 90 seconds before moving it. In total, you should cook the scallops for about three or four minutes on one side and a minute on the other side.
- Turn off the heat and flip the scallops.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven and arrange it on a serving platter with scallops.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette, parsley leaves and pine nuts.
The Chew: Carla Hall Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Recipe Ingredients
Want one more low-calorie recipe that you could serve anytime? Here is a delicious oatmeal treat that almost tastes like pudding.
- 1 1/4 cups Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 10 chopped Almonds
- 1/2 cup old fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Carla Hall: The Chew Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Recipe Directions
- Whisk oats into cold milk and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, cocoa powder and salt.
- Simmer to preferred consistency.
- Season as desired and serve with almonds.