The Chew Coast To Coast: Dixieland Dishes
While there are many things Americans don’t see eye to eye on, there is at least one common thread that runs across this country: Americans love food. No matter where you travel, you’ll find locally inspired twists on classic dishes, and The Chew set out to explore some of these regional offerings, including a Southern BBQ Shrimp Recipe.
Coast to Coast week kicked off with Dixieland Dishes from Atlanta, plus a visit from celebrity chef Paula Deen. But first, the co-hosts critiqued Clinton Kelly’s too-proper Southern accent.
The Chew: Atlanta & Southern Cooking
“I love the people there, I love the food, and what I love about Atlanta is that the women there have a real sense of style that’s all their own,” Clinton Kelly said of featured city Atlanta. Carla Hall said that there are many components to Southern style, including fashion and hair.
Mario Batali brought the conversation back to food, saying “the cooking of the American South is the last almost pure American regional cooking left.” He pointed out the variety, while Carla Hall illustrated all the tweaks and twangs of Southern food, which vary between states and regions.
Michael Symon and Carla agreed that Atlanta is the South’s melting pot, bringing a variety of styles together, from Creole and Appalachian to Cajun styles and even Southern barbecue.
The Chew: Paula Deen
Mario and Michael literally rolled out the red carpet for the return of Southern cooking queen Paula Deen, who gave warm hugs to all the hosts and blew kisses to her cheering fans in the audience.
Paula Deen said she feels good, and she looks slimmer than ever. She’s been getting in shape and has lost 30 pounds since revealing Paula Deen’s Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis.
The Chew: BBQ Shrimp Recipe
Mario served up a BBQ Shrimp Recipe he says can add Southern flair to your next seafood dinner.
Ingredients – Creole Seasoning
- 2 ½ parts Paprika
- 2 parts Salt
- 2 parts Garlic Powder
- 1 part Black Pepper
- 1 part Onion Powder
- 1 part Cayenne Pepper
- 1 part Oregano
- 1 part Thyme
Directions – Creole Seasoning
- Combine ingredients to create seasoning.
- Reserve for use in BBQ Shrimp Recipe, below.
- 3 pounds Large Gulf Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Garlic, minced
- Bay Leaves
- 3 Lemons, halved
- ½ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup Dry White Wine
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Chives
- Polenta or Grits
- Peel Shrimp, leaving tails intact.
- Boil shells in two cups of water to create a Shrimp Stock.
- Sprinkle Creole Seasoning and pepper over Shrimp. Refrigerate.
- Heat Olive Oil on high in a pot. Once hot, saute Shrimp until cooked.
- Reserve Shrimp. Saute Onions and Garlic in pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except Lemons & Polenta or Grits) in pan. Boil, then simmer about half an hour, until thick.
- Return Shrimp to pan, tossing them in sauce.
- Serve on a bed of Polenta or Grits. Finish with fresh squeezed Lemons.