The Chew: Mario Batali’s Pasta Primavera Mascarpone Ravioli
On The Chew, Mario Batali’s pasta primavera mascarpone ravioli recipe was on full display, showing off, once again, Mario Batali’s penchant for Italian cuisine.
The Chew: Pasta Primavera Mascarpone Ravioli Recipe
- 1 pound fresh Pasta Sheets (cut into 3 inch squares)
- 1/2 cup fresh Peas (blanched)
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- 1/2 cup fresh Ricotta (strained)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more for garnish)
- 1 Lemon (zest)
- 1 bunch Basil (roughly chopped and divided)
- 1 bunch Asparagus (cleaned; trimmed amd sliced on a bias)
- 1 cup Sugar Snap Peas (thinly sliced)
- 4 Scallions (sliced)
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Semolina for dusting
The Chew: Pasta Primavera Mascarpone Ravioli Directions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a food processor, blend together the peas, cheeses and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the lemon zest and basil.
- The filling for the ravioli should be almost the same texture as the sauce.
- Lay pasta squares out on a surface dusted with semolina or flour.
- Place a spoonful of the cheese mixture into the center.
- Brush edges lightly with water and fold in half and press with fingers to seal.
- Cover ravioli with a slightly dampened towel until ready to cook.
- The ravioli can be made in advance and frozen on cookie sheets until ready to use. Just thaw and boil.
- Heat a large saute pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high.
- Add the asparagus, sugar snap peas and scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- You can substitute any spring vegetables you find at the store.
- Cook for 2 minutes to soften slightly.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add ravioli to boiled water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reserve some of the pasta water before draining and add it to the sauce for the best consistency.
- Remove with a spider or large slotted spoon and transfer to the saute pan.
- Top with remaining basil.
- Toss ravioli in pan to coat in vegetables and sauce.
- Plate ravioli and garnish with parmesan.