The Chew: Mario Batali Thanksgiving Dessert Idea
The Chew’s Mario Batali shared a quick and easy Thanksgiving dessert that you can make in under an hour. It’s simple and anyone can make this Tart Cherry Crumble Recipe. For another idea, check out Carla’s Sweet Potato Tarte Tatin Recipe, or go nuts with our Thanksgiving Pinterest board.
Mario said that he wanted to make this for his Thanksgiving celebration, but her wife vetoed it because she thought it was too similar to a dessert she will be making. Batali owns 22 restaurants, but the only place where someone else has veto power over him is at home!
To make it easy, use tart cherries from a jar or from frozen. Just make sure to keep 1/2 cup of the cherry juice to thicken up your dessert.
The Chew: Don’t Fumble Your Crumble
Here are a few tips to make sure your crumble dessert always turns out right.
- Use cold butter.
- Add spices when topping fruit. Think cinnamon, cumin, rosemary or saffron. Just use about 1/2 tsp.
- Add uncooked oats, cold cereal, or granola for texture.
The Chew: Mario Batali Tart Cherry Crumble Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Pie Dough
- Zest and Juice of a Lemon
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 14-oz jars Tart Cherries (with juice)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Amaretti Cookies
- 4 tbsp cold cubed Butter
- 1/3 cup Quick Oats
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Greek Yogurt
- Powdered Sugar
Mario Batali: The Chew Tart Cherry Crumble Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Roll pie dough on a flour-prepped surface to 1/8” thick.
- Place pie dough in a parchment-lined pie dish and weight with baking beans.
- Cook 10 minutes.
- Remove beans and parchment.
- Bake another seven or eight minutes to get the crust golden.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- Whisk cornstarch with 1/2 cup cherry liquid.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and cherries.
- Stir ingredients together and transfer to the baked crust.
- Put the crumble ingredients (except butter) together in a food processor and pulse until it is pea sized.
- Add in butter and pulse to a crumble.
- Place crumble layer on top of cherries and bake pie for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Serve with powdered sugar and Greek yogurt.