The Chew: Mario Batali Summer Vegetables in Cartoccio Recipe
This is a perfect recipe for all those garden vegetables you are going to be growing this summer in your garden. Plus the whole recipe is easy to make. All you have to do is toss some vegetables and meat into a bag and let it cook.
Can it get any easier?
Mario Batali Summer Vegetables in Cartoccio Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups Haricots Verts (root end trimmed)
- 2 Corn Cobs (cut into 1/2-inch wheels)
- 1 1/2 cups Baby Yukon Potatoes (cut in half)
- 1 cup Broccoli (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 Yellow Squash (cut in half lengthwise then sliced into 1/4-inch thick half moons)
- 5 Scallions (cut into 1-inch lengths)
- 1 1/2 cups American Country Ham (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (sliced)
- 6 Parsley sprigs (chopped)
- 6 Thyme sprigs
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/3 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Basil (chopped)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Mario Batali Summer Vegetables in Cartoccio Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Toss the first 11 ingredients in a bowl and dress lightly with olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Spread five 24 by 12 inch rectangular sheets of parchment paper on the counter. Divide the vegetables in a low pile centered on half of the paper and top with the herbs. Drizzle with the wine. Fold the other half of the paper over and fold and crumple the edges together to form a tight seal. Drizzle the packets with olive oil.
- Place the packet on a cookie sheet and bake about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve the vegetables in their baking paper.
- Garnish with a bit of basil and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with the bread.
If you don’t like any of the vegetables or meat, this recipe can be made with any types. If you do add meat though, make sure to cook to a safe temperature.