The Chew: Skillet Chicken Recipe
The Chew’s Carla Hall faced off against Mario Batali in a skillet competition. She made a Skillet Chicken Pot Pie, while Mario tackled a Skillet Chicken Recipe with a side of charred green beans.
The Chew: Mario Batali Skillet Chicken Ingredients
- 2 lb boneless Chicken Thighs
- 7 Tomatillos, husked and hulled
- 1 lb Green Beans
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 3 Scallions
- 2 Serrano Peppers, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced
- Juice of 5 Limes
- 3/4 cup Cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Corn Tortillas
The Chew: Skillet Chicken Recipe Directions & Charred Green Beans
- Combine 1/2 cup Olive Oil with salt, pepper, and serrano peppers. Add cilantro, lime juice, and tomatillos. Reserve 1/4 of this in a bowl.
- Marinate chicken thighs in a plastic bag with remaining mixture. Let sit overnight in your fridge.
- Remove chicken 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a skillet on medium high with olive oil.
- Wipe away excess marinade and season chicken using salt and pepper.
- Cook, skin side down, until skin becomes crispy, about five minutes.
- Flip chicken and cook another four minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Use remaining tomatillo mix, add hot sauce and olive oil. Tweak to taste.
- In a second skillet, heat oil over medium-high.
- Toss green beans in salt and pepper before cooking in skillet.
- Let green beans char. Do not stir until they begin to char.
- Add onions and scallions to the pan and cook, no longer than five minutes.
- Green beans should be just tender. Dress with tomatillo marinade and jalapenos.
- Heat tortillas and serve with chicken and green bean salad.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings, sauces, and condiments.
The Chew: Skillet Supper Showdown
What did the Tasting Table think of the recipes? More importantly, who won the competion and the Golden Bundt prize? Mario’s Skillet Chicken Recipe faced off against Carla’s Chicken Pot Pie Recipe.
Finally, a winner emerged: the audience members chose Carla Hall’s dish in a 7-3 vote. They both sound good to me.