The Chew: Mario Batali Citrus Crostata Recipe
Mario Batali had to get in the mix for The Chew’s easy baking recipe. His contribution was similar to a tart, and he said it was easy enough for anyone to make. Check out this Citrus Crostata recipe.
The Chew: What Is A Crostata?
Batali, like Michael Symon, admitted that baking is not his strong suit. But he found a recipe he thought anyone could make. It uses every part of the fruits to get all the flavor out. Find out how to do it below. A crostata is “a free-form pastry crust,” according to Batali. Italian desserts are eaten at mid-afternoon, instead of after dinner.
The Chew Citrus Crostata Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups Cake Flour
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- Zest of one Lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Ice Water
- 1 cup Butter, chilled & cubed
- 2 large Pink Grapefruit
- 7 Meyer Lemons
- 2 cups Water
- 4 cups Sugar
- Sour Cream
The Chew: Mario Batali Crostata Recipe Directions
- Mix 1/2 tsp salt with flour, lemon zest, and 3 tbsp sugar in your food processor.
- Add in the butter cubes and pulse to create the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Add in one tablespoon of ice water at a time, pulsing to form a dough ball.
- Remove dough and pat it into a 2” disk. Wrap it in plastic and chill for half an hour.
- Slice fruits lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Cut grapefruit into eight pieces.
- Tie removed seeds in cheesecloth.
- Slice fruits thinly, leaving skins intact.
- In a pot, bring fruits, cheesecloth, water, 4 cups sugar, and 1 tsp salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, cooking for 90 minutes to two hours.
- Fruit should be soft and resemble a jam consistency.
- Skim foam while cooking to keep clear.
- Remove from heat, discard cheesecloth, and let cool.
- Preheat your oven to 365 F.
- Remove dough and roll out. Sprinkle flat surface with excess flour.
- Roll dough into a rectangle that will fit on your baking sheet, about 1/4” thick.
- Spread marmalade mixture onto dough, folding in dough edges but leaving about 6” fruit exposed.
- Brush the creation using leftover liquid from your marmalade.
- Bake about 45 minutes, to golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Garnish servings with mascarpone or sour cream.