The Chew: The Mangia Mangia Food Truck
Meatball trucks, a new trend in food that is sweeping the nation, is redefining how we eat Italian food. With Guy Fieri talking all about Flavortown USA throughout May 23rd’s episode, it only made sense to send a Chew correspondent to check one of these trucks out.
From saucy lasagna, to cheesy chicken parm, to…meatball lollipops, the Mangia Mangia (meaning “eat, eat” in Italian) Food truck has been spicing up the streets of San Diego. The truck opened two years ago driving up and down the streets during lunch and dinner. One item that everyone goes crazy for are his Italian lollipops, which mixes up traditional meats on sticks by putting a friend meatball on there, instead. Check out the Meatball Lollipop recipe below.
The Chew: Mangia Mangia’s Meatball Lollipop Recipe
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Italian Breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Oregano
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3/4 cup Pecorino Romano
- 2 tablespoons Parsley (chopped)
- 10 Eggs
- 2 pounds Ground Meat (40% Beef; 40% Veal; 20% Pork)
- 4 liters Marinara Sauce
- Tempura Mix
The Chew: Mangia Mangia’s Meatball Lollipop Directions
- Evenly mix together all ingredients except the marinara sauce and tempura mix in a big bowl using your hands.
- Use an ice cream scoop to make balls out of the mixture.
- Keep the ice cream scoop wet at all times so the meat does not stick to it.
- Heat up a frying pan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and fry the balls for 3 minutes until they get a nice crunchy coating.
- Drain the balls from the grease and move them into a pot of marinara sauce so they keep cooking for another 40 minutes.
- Put the pot in the fridge to cool off.
- When the balls are cool, drain the marinara, but keep the sauce for later use.
- Put each ball on a wooden stick.
- Dip the balls in a tempura mix, so they have a thin coating of tempura.
- Deep-fry each lollipop for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Dab them with paper towel, and season with salt to taste.
- Use the marinara as dipping sauce with Pecorino cheese, if desired.