The Chew: Clinton Kelly Boston Superfan
Traveling Coast to Coast is enough to make anyone hungry, so it’s a good thing The Chew is teaching us how to prepare regional favorites this week. Today’s show featured a Clambake Recipe and Boston Cream Pie for dessert. Plus, Mario Batali made Red Flannel Hash for breakfast and Yvette Rios toured the Boston North End neighborhood. The Chew wrapped up its visit to Boston with a Lobster Rolls & Shoestring Fries Recipe.
Before whipping up his culinary creations, Boston Lobster Rolls & Shoestring Fries, Boston College alum Clinton Kelly needed to find a superfan to assist him in preparing his recipes. Jesse Smith hails from Saugus, Massachusetts, and got a Psychology degree from Boston College about a year ago.
The Chew: Jesse Smith Superfan
To get ready for cooking, Jesse Smith and Clinton Kelly did an a capella duet of the Boston College fight song, fumbling over a few of the words but mostly doing it justice. Clinton Kelly blamed political correctness for updating the lyrics since his time in school there.
Jesse lost 40 pounds during her senior year of college by learning to cook for herself. This has led to a healthier diet and, she’s managed to keep the pounds off since graduation.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Lobster Rolls
While preparing the recipe, Clinton got a little excited, throwing some lobster over his shoulder and into the hair of a woman in the audience. That’s not as fun a surprise as being chosen to cook on TV.
If you’re not a mayonnaise fan, there is a Connecticut version of lobster rolls that doesn’t call for the ingredient. Daphne Oz suggested mashed Avocado as an alternative.
The Chew: Lobster Roll & Shoestring Fries Recipe by Clinton Kelly
Ingredients – Lobster Rolls
- 2 small Lobsters
- 2 Lemons
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- Chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted Butter, melted
- 4 Hot Dog Buns
- Salt & Pepper
Ingredients – Shoestring Fries
- Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Potatoes, peeled
Directions – Lobster Roll
- In a large pot, add Lobsters, ¾ of your squeezed Lemons, Peppercorns, Parsley and Salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let cook about 10 minutes.
- Drain and cool Lobsters.
- Remove Lobster claws, knuckles and tails. Coarsely chop.
- In a bowl, combine Lobster, Mayonnaise, Chives, and remaining ¼ Lemon juice.
- Add Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Brush melted butter on each side of the buns.
- Toast on griddle or broil until golden.
- Generously portion lobster filling on toasted rolls. Finish with Chives.
Directions – Shoestring Fries
- Fill a Dutch Oven or fryer with oil. Heat to 360.
- Thinly slice the potatoes using a mandolin or food processor.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Place cooked fries on paper towel to soak up oil.
- Season with salt.
- Serve on the side or atop lobster filling.