The Chew: Marie Rivera’s Meatball Recipe
The Chew Coast to Coast week pulled into its home base, New York City, for a day of dishes, recipes and guests from the Big Apple. From Veal Parmigiana Heros to a Superfan Face Off of NYC-inspired culinary creations, The Chew turned to superfan winner Marie Rivera, who got to showcase her unique approach to Little Italy Spaghetti and Meatballs.
The Chew: Dolly’s Meatballs
Marie believes her grandmother, Dolly, who created this Little Italy Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe, is watching over her when she cooks. Plus, she still uses her own mother’s spoon in the kitchen for good luck. Do you have any kitchen superstitions?
The Chew: Marie’s Little Italy Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
Marie showed off her classic recipe, which stretches the meat farther by mixing it with potatoes, for a light, fluffy texture and a classic Italian taste.
She recalled growing up in Brooklyn and enjoying the fresh ingredients her family used to make their favorite dishes through the years, from fresh bakeries and butchers on the corner. Marie said that her parents were both first generation New Yorkers, who brought their culinary traditions with them from Italy.
Marie’s husband Joe was in the audience, and he said this is one of his favorite dishes that Marie cooks at home. Even his co-workers enjoy it when she brings it to work.
For sharing her family recipe for Little Italy Spaghetti and Meatballs, The Chew team surprised Marie with tickets to see the New York Yankees.
Ingredients – Meatballs
- 2 Baked Potatoes
- 1 pound Ground Chuck
- ½ pound Veal
- ½ pound Pork
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ cups Pecorino Romano
- Salt & Pepper
- ¼ cup Parsley
- Olive Oil
Directions – Meatballs
- Bake potatoes and process using a ricer to preserve air quality. Do not mash.
- Combine potatoes with ground meats, blending by hand until thoroughly mixed.
- Add Breadcrumbs and Pecorino Romano cheese to the mixture.
- Next, add Eggs and Salt to taste, along with Parsley.
- One mixture is thoroughly combined, form into meatballs.
- Fry balls in Garlic-infused Olive Oil until browned. Then drain and set aside.
Ingredients – Marinara Sauce
- Pasta/Spaghetti, prepared per package directions
- 3 28-ounce cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Rind
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
Directions – Marinara Sauce
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add meatballs to sauce and finish about 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add remaining cheese and plate atop freshly cooked spaghetti, finishing with a helping of Ricotta.