The Chew: Harry Connick Jr Cooking in New Orleans
Connick Jr., who grew up in New Orleans, told The Chew he can make the basic New Orleans dishes like gumbo and red beans and rice but he doesn’t try to get any more fancy than that.
“New Orleans is the only city in the world where you plan your next meal at the meal you are eating,” commented Harry Connick Jr.
Harry Connick Jr Loves Crocs
Mario Batali was happy to be cooking with Harry Connick Jr. because of his choice of footwear. Apparently, both of the them are very fond of Crocs. Harry Connick Jr. said his wife made him retire his Crocs so he made sure to bring them with him on the show where he knew he would be allowed to wear them.
Harry Connick Jr Woos Carla Hall with His Dancing
Harry Connick Jr. danced with Carla Hall and she was really excited about. She said he is the type of person who really feels the music. She even made an inference about how he might be pretty good at other aspects of life as well judging from how well he can move his body.
The Chew: Harry Connick Jr on Album Covers
Clinton Kelly pulled up some of Harry’s old album covers to see what he thought some of them.
- Dixieland (1977) – He said all the guys have since died. They are legendary musicians. He was only nine years old at the time. It was his first record.
- Eleven (1978)
- When Harry Met Sally - This is when he became a household name. His CDs before did okay but that CD changed his life he said. Clinton said he dressed like that for a year. He said he really wanted to be Harry Connick Jr. at that point in his life.
- Star Turtle - It was his second funk record. His records were doing well. When that record came out it was like he killed his own career because no one wanted to hear funk music at his concert. They wanted his older music. It was in his mid-20s so people came back to find out he could do more than one style of music but it took some time for him.
Mario Batali Hanger Steak with Hen of the Woods Recipe
Harry Connick Jr. said he always orders the hanger steak from Mario Batali’s restaurant and then tries to make it at home but it never works so he went right to the source to find out how to make it.
- Lardo comes from the back of the pig and is strictly just fat.
- Hen of the Woods mushrooms are hard to find sometimes so you might want to sub in some button mushrooms.
Mario Batali Hanger Steak with Hen of the Woods Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pound Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- 2 ounces Lardo (thin slices)
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1.5-2 pounds Hanger Steak
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced Shallot
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- zest of 1 Lemon
- 2/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Thyme (chopped)
The Chew: Mario Batali Hanger Steak with Hen of the Woods Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Remove large stems from mushrooms, being careful to keep the mushrooms intact. Remove with damp towel. Place mushrooms on half sheet tray. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then season heavily with salt and pepper. Sprinkle shallots and garlic evenly over the mushrooms, then drape the lardo evenly over them. Bake for 20 minutes making sure to turn the sheet tray halfway through the cooking.
- Season the hanger steak generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Lightly oil the grilling surface. Grill the steak 4 to 5 minutes per side. Rest 10 minutes before serving.
For the Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- Meanwhile, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients while gradually adding the oil to the mixture.
- Toss the roasted mushrooms with 1/2 cup of vinaigrette. Garnish with shaved grana padano.