The Chew: Iron Grandmas Meatloaf Winner
The Chew had one more meatloaf recipe left from the Iron Grandmas meatloaf competition. Donna Parry shared her Grandma’s Surprise Meatloaf recipe. Plus, keep reading to check in with former Iron Grandma winner Mama T and get her Polpettas Recipe.
The Chew: Grandma’s Surprise Meatloaf Recipe
The all star judging panel included Aaron “Big Daddy" McCargo Jr, Gail Simmons from Food & Wine, and Geoffrey Zakarian from Iron Chef. They agreed that the three meatloaf recipes in the contest were each very different.
The Chew’s expert judges had good things to say about the Kosher Peppery Meatloaf and the See Me Not Meatloaf. But the raisins and bacon in Donna’s recipe seemed to really resonate with the panel, who thought the sweetness brought a balance, along with the vegetable texture.
The Chew: Donna Parry Grandma’s Surprise Meatloaf Recipe Ingredients
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion
- 2 slices Bread, soaked in milk & squeezed
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Steak Sauce
- 1 package Onion Soup Mix
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 2 grated Carrots
- 2 tbsp Bacon Grease
- 1 cup Locatelli Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
The Chew: Grandma’s Surprise Meatloaf Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Mix together all ingredients, except ketchup and brown sugar.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a loaf pan.
- Bake about 45-55 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and top with brown sugar and ketchup.
- Put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool before serving.
The Chew Meatless Meatballs: Mama T’s Polpettas Recipe
The Chew’s Carla Hall visited audience favorite Mama T in her home kitchen and picked up her recipe for meatless meatballs. She recommended choosing a rounder male eggplant, which would have fewer seeds. Check out this Polpettas Recipe.
Mama T Polpettas Recipe Ingredients
- 1 large Eggplant
- 1 cup Romano Cheese
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew Polpettas Meatless Meatballs Directions
- Halve the eggplant and trim off each end. Boil it with the skin facing down, surrounded by water.
- Reduce heat and cook until softened.
- Place in a colander, skin side up, and drain for at least an hour.
- Move soft eggplant to a bowl and chop into a mushy consistency.
- Add cheese, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into balls and dredge with flour.
- Fry in olive oil until browned all over, which should take 7 to 10 minutes.