The Chew: Italian Chef Fabio Viviani
To take a quick tour of Italy, Fabio teamed with someone from the audience to make two dishes: Fried Veal Cutlets from Northern Italy and an Eggplant Caponata from Southern Italy. Fabio gave some pertinent advice: “season both sides of your food.”
The Chew: Fabio Viviani Fried Veal Cutlets Recipe Ingredients
- 6 Veal Cutlets
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Panko
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 bunch Arugula
- 1/4 cup Mint
- 1/4 cup Basil
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
The Chew Fried Veal Cutlets Recipe Directions
- Pound veal thin with a meat mallet to about 1/2” thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a shallow dish.
- Beat eggs and place in a shallow dish.
- Combine Panko and parmesan in a third dish.
- Coat cutlets in flour, followed by egg wash and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a saute pan on medium high.
- Cook veal for two or three minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Rest on paper towels to drain.
- Combine a few tablespoons of olive oil with red wine vinegar in a large bowl.
- Add salt, basil, mint, tomatoes, and arugula.
- Serve salad garnish with lemon slices and prepared veal.
The Chew Eggplant Caponata Recipe Ingredients
There are a balance of sweet and salty flavors and multiple textures in this Eggplant Caponata Recipe. Mario Batali said this was a Sicilian style recipe.
- 1 cup Carrots
- 1 cup Celery
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 Eggplants, peeled and chunked
- 1/2 cup Capers, drained
- 1 1/2 cups Green Olives, pitted & sliced
- 1 cup Pine Nuts
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 bunch Basil leaves
- Lemon Zest
- Mint Leaves
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Olive Oil
The Chew: Fabio Viviani Eggplant Caponata Recipe Directions
- Chop onions, celery, and carrots.
- Combine these in a Dutch oven with olive oil.
- Cook on medium until caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook a few more minutes.
- Add in eggplant chunks and stir so they absorb oils.
- As eggplant releases water, turn heat to high and stir often.
- Cook 10 minutes, until eggplant softens and reduces.
- Add capers, pine nuts, and olives. Cook five minutes.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar, letting vinegar reduce.
- Add tomato paste and tomato sauce. Cook 10 more minutes.
- Add basil, salt, and pepper.
- Turn heat to medium and reduce tomato sauce until water is gone.
- Take off heat and rest 30 minutes.
- Serve with lemon zest and mint for garnish.