The Chew: Southern Style Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
The Chew went Southern style to kick off a week of shows inspired by American cooking traditions. Mario Batali featured Southern BBQ Shrimp, Paula Deen shared her Country Captain Chicken, and Michael Symon shared his take on classic Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce in the show’s Symon Sealed Delivered segment, with a little help from Daphne Oz.
“I learned how to make them from my mother-in-law, Shirley. She is from Dalton, Georgia, and a fantastic Southern cook,” Michael said.
Michael Symon: Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce Recipe
Michael explained that this beloved Southern dish is a great way to use extra garden tomatoes, or the stragglers on the vine that don’t fully ripen.
Carla Hall explained that there are some heirloom tomato varieties that grow green, even when ripe. But Michael’s dish calls for unripened tomatoes, which he explained are still tart and firm, making them easier to fry.
He noted that Fried Green Tomatoes are a versatile dish, working well as an appetizer, a side dish with Southern BBQ Shrimp, or even at breakfast with eggs.
As for storage, “I never put any tomato in the fridge ever,” Michael Symon said. Carla Hall also recommended pickling green tomatoes for another classic Southern treat.
The Chew: Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce Recipe
This recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce is much cheaper than a fast food appetizer, costing about $1.50 per serving. The recipe makes four servings.
- 3 Green Tomatoes
- ¾ cup Flour
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- ¾ cup Cornmeal
- Lard or Cooking Oil
- In a frying pan, heat lard or cooking oil.
- Cut tomatoes in thick slices, seasoning both sides with salt.
- Place Flour, Buttermilk, and Cornmeal in three small dishes.
- Bread the slices in flour, buttermilk, and cornmeal.
- Drop battered tomato slices in oil, frying until golden brown.
- Once fried, blot gently with a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve with Buttermilk dipping sauce.
Ingredients – Buttermilk Sauce
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Shallots
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- ¼ cup Buttermilk
Directions – Buttermilk Sauce
- Combine ingredients (except Buttermilk) in blender or food processor until emulsified.
- Add Buttermilk and blend completely.
- Serve with Fried Green Tomatoes.